Monday, February 23, 2015

A new Windsor / Sadler teapot

My aunt and I shopped our hearts out on Saturday but came up empty-handed. We found nothing at the thrift stores. Or T.J. Maxx. Or Ross. Or Beall's. Finally, we decided we'd stop by an antique mall in Bremen we like to visit every now and then, and I was happy to find several teapots that were very reasonably priced. Saturday was cold and gray and rainy here, so by the time I spotted this teapot, I decided some spring-like roses were in order.

I've seen teapots of this style before, with panels described as "trellis" or "basketweave" in design, but I've never had one. I thought $14.99 was a great price for a nice big teapot, and I was happy my day of shopping ended up being fruitful after all.

I was also intrigued by the fact this teapot is embossed "Sadler" but also has a backstamp reading "Windsor." So is it Windsor-Sadler, Windsor for Sadler, a Sadler-style teapot with design by Windsor? I looked online but couldn't really find anything helpful on the topic, so if any of you know, I'd love to hear what, precisely, this combination of marks means.

And on a semi-related note … in the course of my online search about backstamps, I came across a post I thought was most intriguing. If you click here, you can see some neat photos from The Potteries in England showing how handles are applied to teacups. While I haven't given a ton of thought to this topic, I must tell you I found this process simply fascinating!

19 comments:

  1. I'd say your shopping was very successful! Really lovely teapot. Thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a pretty teapot! I'm glad you found it. I have no clue about the back stamp, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty tea pot. Happy your shopping was a success.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would say your shopping went rather well when you found this beauty. Love the teapot, and the fact that it is a Sadler- Windsor makes it even better! Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A pretty acquisition and good price. I've not found much of anything at the TJ Max at the end of our street and I know how much you like it so have checked a couple of times.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty for Spring! How serendipitous you mentioned The Potteries in England. I am spending a week in London, a week in York, and hope to visit Stoke on Trent to see teaware made!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Angela, last year I was gifted a similar teapot with a spring floral motif that has the same embossing but no backstamp. An identical teapot listed on eBay described it as a "Sadler Teapot Windsor Floral made in England Vintage 1970-1990." I especially like your pink rose motif.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a pretty teapot, and what a bargain!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful Teapot . Will go to the link and read about the handle .

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was fascinated by how the handles were made and put on the cups. Now I am wondering how the spouts are made. Love your tea pot, too. You know I am ready to move as soon as my house sells. sure wish I could move near you. I love to do all the things you do and love reading your blog. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  11. So very pretty! Perfect for a spring tea party!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How beautiful! I also have a basketweave teapot but mine has yellow flowers. I actually found the matching mugs first and found the teapot 1 year later!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the shape and pretty floral pattern. I have the same questions as you because I have a teapot with the same markings.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very pretty. I love Sadler teapots.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful teapot, Angela! I know you'll be giving this teapot a great home - enjoy it. Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have the exact same teapot!!
    Have you found any other information about it? It was my mother’s. ♥️

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!