Wednesday, November 22, 2023

Let's talk turkeys!


I've been all about turkeys this month. A few weeks ago, I zipped over to the open house at one of my favorite antique stores in Fayetteville, and when I was checking out, I learned that since I'd spent over $75, I could have a free frozen turkey if I wanted it. Now, I don't know about you, but the Tea With Friends household does not turn away free groceries these days, so I ran home to pop that free turkey in the fridge and then returned to my regularly scheduled shopping. One of the things I bought that day, appropriately enough, was the $6 turkey planter at left on this distressed table.


Here's a close-up (a bit dark since it was gray and rainy yesterday and I had to photograph it indoors; sorry!). While I was happy to find this planter, I couldn't remember where I'd stored the other two vintage turkey planters I've had for years. Finally, I remembered that in my Christmas journal, where I jot things like gift lists and my Christmas card record, I had also started writing down Where I Stored Stuff each year. And lo and behold, I'd written, "Turkey planters-cardboard box that electric teakettle came in, bottom of bedroom closet." And that's right where they were! My goal this year is to get everything stored in clear plastic containers and in the garage. We'll see if that happens.


This is one of those "missing" planters. They have a sort of teal-blue cast to them, and I love them! 


After I dropped off the frozen turkey at home and resumed shopping on that Saturday, I came across what I thought was a beautiful vintage turkey platter. It's got a pretty moss-green border that somehow softens the turkey.


This past Saturday, I found yet another vintage turkey platter, a giant 16 x 20-inch plastic one, for just $5 at a thrift store. It was perfect for holding the turkey sandwich fixings that our family enjoyed on Sunday, and I like its kitschy quality, and I now consider it my "casual" turkey platter.


The one thing I haven't quite found the right spot for yet? My turkey teapot! It's the only turkey-themed tea ware I own, and I'm going to have to use it on Thanksgiving. If nothing else, I'll use it to serve iced tea! And I hope you all have a very happy and turkey-filled Thanksgiving!

7 comments:

  1. Quite a nice group of turkeys! Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And to you, Joy! Hope you all have a wonderful day!

      Delete
  2. Angela, beautiful turkey wares you have found! I collect vintage turkey items, and have not seen any of the teal coloring as you have, nor the lovely green edged platter. Enjoy your turkeys, and a blessed Thanksgiving day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fun seeing your retro vintage turkey passions!! Gobble gobble!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Thanksgiving Angela and family! Your rafter of turkey display is lovely! Or is it a flock? HA! Frances

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gotta love all your cute turkeys! Wishing a happy Thanksgiving to everyone who reads this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute turkeys! A free turkey is a great surprise. Happy Thanksgiving Angela!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!