Monday, November 13, 2023

A Spiced Pear Cake that tastes like fall!


I don't always share with you the recipes I include in my column for The Weekly, a local publication that's delivered to all the homes in my county, but this spice cake is so good, and I think some of you will enjoy making it as a teatime treat!

Earlier this fall, I was thrifting one Saturday when I came across an old 1961 spiral-bound cookbook published by the Haralson County Home Demonstration Council. Well, Haralson County is where I grew up, so of course I had to grab this one-dollar find. Tucked into its stained pages was an old cake recipe that caught my eye because it called for pears and not apples. Having recently tried an apple cake that didn't quite meet my expectations, I spiced up the pear cake a bit, and Alex and I loved the result.

In fact, this cake is one we'll be serving at Thanksgiving this year. I recommend enjoying it along with a cup of brisk black tea!


Spiced Pear Cake with Caramel Glaze

4 Bartlett pears, peeled and diced fine (1/4-inch to 1/3-inch cubes)
2 cups + 1 tablespoon sugar, divided use
3 large eggs
1-1/4 cups vegetable oil
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cardamom
1/4 teaspoon ginger
I teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1-3/4 cups chopped pecans, divided use
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Caramel Glaze (recipe below)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a small bowl, combine pears and the 1 tablespoon of sugar. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the remaining 2 cups of sugar, eggs and the oil at medium speed until well blended.

In a medium bowl, combine flour, nutmeg, cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, salt and baking soda. Add flour mixture to egg mixture, beating on low speed until combined. Use a rubber spatula to gently fold in the pears, 1-1/2 cups of the pecans and vanilla. Batter will be very thick. Pour into a greased and floured 10-inch Bundt pan (or spray with Baker’s Joy). Bake for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cake cool for 10 minutes in pan before removing to a wire rack to finish cooling, then drizzle with Caramel Glaze.

Caramel Glaze

1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup evaporated milk

Add all ingredients to a saucepan and cook over medium heat. Bring mixture to a boil and stir constantly for 2 to 3 minutes. Let mixture cool for just a few minutes until it thickens slightly, then spoon over cake. Sprinkle cake with remaining 1/4 cup pecans.

7 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious, thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I have a pear tree...no pears this fall but maybe next year? In the meantime, Bartlett's aren't hard to find!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing the recipe. My oldest is on a pear kick so I think he would love this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds and looks amazing! When I was a young girl I always requested a spice layer cake for my birthday. I haven't had a spice cake in a long time and this one might just fit the need for one. Yummmm! caramel too!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of a pear spice cake before, but that one sounds yummy! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you think you can use canned pears from the grocery store instead of fresh pears?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My only concern is that they might be a little "mushy" inside the baked cake.

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!