Wednesday, November 15, 2023

A Christmas magazine roundup


Remember when you could visit your local newsstand and get a whole stack of magazine for under twenty dollars? Well, those days are gone, aren't they? But I love me some magazines, and Christmas magazines are some of my favorites. For that reason, I thought I'd give you a quick review of some of the ones I've bought so far. First up is one I've been buying for years now, the Christmas issue of Flea Market Décor, and it's definitely my favorite because of all the vintage and thrifted items. Inside: loads of Santa mugs, bottle brush trees, creamy white wares, and for us tea lovers, the occasional teacup, transfer ware, and teapots!


Cottages & Bungalows
is another magazine I've been buying regularly for the past year or so. Their Christmas issue is beautiful, and it includes features on a Christmas kitchen, ironstone and transfer ware, decorating for a Victorian Christmas, and more. Lovely photos!


Cottage Style Christmas
from Better Homes & Gardens is a magazine I had to purchase because it features lots of pieces owned by a local collector, Emily Baker. Even though Emily lives in my town, I've never met her, but I stalk her Instagram feed daily at the holidays because she is both a buyer and a seller of vintage decor, and I pretty much want everything she's ever shown. I bought some tiny vintage ornaments at her booth in Fayetteville just this past Saturday. (Her Instagram handle is @myweatheredhome if you'd like to check her out. She is currently my favorite celebrity.)


Country Sampler
is a magazine I buy occasionally because of the seasonal vignettes it includes. It's definitely a more country/primitive/darker style of decor than I prefer, but the ideas are often things I can easily translate into a more Shabby Chic or traditional style. And since I'm writing a cozy mystery series about two junkin' sisters, I am very interested in articles about things made with junk. This issue includes, among other articles, one on Christmas trees made of such things as old keys and butter molds! So this issue quickly became a resource I'll be using when I write the Christmas book in my series.

Now, those are my recommendations! Have you picked up any Christmas magazines? I'd love to hear about them!

4 comments:

  1. Well, now I want every one of those magazines! I’ll just have to go see what I can find. I was reading a December 2022 copy of Southern Lady last week at the nail salon, which reminded me how much I enjoy Christmas magazines. Now to check out Instagram…

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the magazine review. I haven't picked up any yet but this will probably change soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you letting us know about those magazines! I haven't bought any Christmas magazines yet, but now I know what to look for.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!