Wednesday, June 14, 2023

Some tea mugs from Cave Spring


So my newest teacup is not actually a teacup. It's a tea mug. An enamelware tea mug, to be precise!


I love old enamelware, but it's sooo expensive! When I found this colorful vintage enamelware bowl at a thrift store for a few dollars last year, I was thrilled. And when I spotted this greenish-blue bowl at an antique store this year, also for a great price, even though this bowl was new, I was equally thrilled. So when I was out shopping on Saturday and spotted two mugs that I was pretty sure matched it, I grabbed them—and they do indeed match! My only beef with enamelware mugs is that the handles can get so hot, but these did not, so we're good. These are great mugs for sipping tea outdoors or anywhere that I want a spot of tea but don't want to risk breaking a china teacup.


Saturday's finds were in Cave Spring, Georgia, which Alex and I had decided on a whim to explore. The town's website didn't list anything much to do there, but it sure looks like someone would have mentioned that the town's arts-and-crafts fair was being held! The day was beautiful, and temperatures were mild for early June in Georgia, so we had a lovely time.


I always enjoy seeing what's sold at craft fairs, especially since a fall festival is central to the plot of my new cozy mystery coming out in the fall, and since my main characters are Alabama and Auburn fans, I imagine these signs would have caught their attention! (Is it weird that I think about shopping for my characters now? At least imaginary shopping saves me money!)



Craft fair food is always fun to see, like that at the Hillbilly Café, where you could get a quart of sweet tea for $5.



We ended up eating lunch at a great restaurant called Local Joe's, where I had a barbecue pimiento melt (never heard of such a combo) and Alex had a turkey BLT. We both thought our sandwiches were delicious. We were too stuffed to get some of the hand pies, but aren't they pretty? We did, however, take home some tasty fudge—peanut butter for him and chocolate-and-sea-salt-caramel for me. 


And as someone who also writes cozy mysteries about a woman who upcycles junk jewelry, can you imagine how delighted I was to spot this in one of the many antique shops? We had a great time in Cave Spring and hope to go exploring there again soon!


6 comments:

  1. I've often thought about going to Cave Spring. Your post makes me want to move it up on my places to explore in Georgia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fun way to spend the day. The enamel wear reminds me of an old fashioned picnic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great that you happened to go to Cave Spring when they were having an arts-and-crafts fair! You took some wonderful photos that give a good flavor of the event--that pig is really something, if a bit ominous-looking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your enamel ware is a beautiful color and the bowl too, such nice finds. I like the look of that pearl necklace display. I like pickles, but fried, have not tried.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute mugs! I’m glad you enjoyed the day in Cave Springs, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your new tea mugs. What a pretty color.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!