Friday, June 30, 2023

Dear Dior …


Dear Dior,

The new issue of Town & Country has arrived, and I wanted to thank you for making the magazine such a pleasure to read. It had some actress on the cover, but alas, I've lost all interest in Hollywood. While this young lady is probably a lovely person, I haven't cared about a celebrity since the great Elizabeth Taylor passed away. I was, however, quite intrigued to read the article about your new Rouge Premier Lipstick in Shade #8 ($540, including one refill). Why, I asked myself, would the good people of Dior be selling a lipstick for $540? (Really, with the refill that's included, I suppose one could argue that it's only $270, but let's not split hairs.)


I read every word of this fascinating article, and I have to tell you that I absolutely love knowing that you have housed your lipstick in "a ceramic cylinder handcrafted by 160-year-old French porcelain house Maison Bernardaud." I adore porcelain! I also adored this line: "The lipstick looks like velvet in the tube and feels like satin on the lips." Ahhh. What woman doesn't want that! I was also impressed to learn that the lipstick is "infused with hibiscus extract and 24K gold." Brilliant! (Literally, maybe?) Now I'm starting to see the justification for the price tag. But then I read this: "It smells faintly of rooibos tea and bergamot." Are you pulling my leg? A lipstick that smells like rooibos tea and the citrus that gives my beloved Earl Grey tea its legendary taste? Why, this sounds divine!


It was even fun to read that the shape of the bullet (I did not know that the business end of a lipstick is called a "bullet") "resembles a pearl drop earring." By golly, it does! Of course, after I read that there are "only a few thousand" of these ceramic cases "on the planet," I realized I've probably waited too late to get one, but I will wish you well with your sales and salute the lucky ladies who land one of these pretties. Besides, I have enough lip cosmetics at my house to get by. I'm pretty sure I have an old ribbed-gold case of Estée Lauder lip color circa 2006 somewhere in my bathroom cabinet, and I keep a tube of Lip Smackers (Fanta Strawberry flavor) in my purse at all times. So don't you worry about me. I'll be just fine.

Warmly,

Angela McRae



6 comments:

  1. LOL :-) And here I thought paying $25 for a lipstick was a lot. I personally like a chisel shaped bullet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! Maybe Harney & Sons could add lipstick to their line? HA! Frances L

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for my laugh of the day, Angela! (actually, LOTS of laughs.) That's a very entertaining piece that you've written for us today. I haven't worn lipstick since high school (well over half a century ago), but I love porcelain, too, and would like to hold that lipstick container in my hands, to feel it. It looks interesting, but if I were designing a lipstick tube to sell for $540, I would make it more colorful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this, you made my day! 😂. xo, V.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nancy in northeast IowaJune 30, 2023 at 11:10 PM

    My sides were hurting by the time I finished reading this!!! It was wonderfully funny!!! I haven't worn "real" lipstick in years....these days "Burt's Bees" is about all I use. I kept thinking "If I had $540 to spend, I'd rather buy tea!!!" Thanks for bringing a giggle to my Friday!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too funny though consider the source magazine demographics, probably. I'm all for treating myself and enjoying makeup but for me it's frosted lip gloss from Bath & Body Works or Victoria's Secret!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!