Monday, November 21, 2022

The Thanksgiving Tea Trolley

Although I collect vintage Christmas goodies all year long, I just can’t bring myself to decorate with them until after Thanksgiving. Over the weekend, I realized I hadn’t updated the tea trolley in a while, so I pulled out my “ease into the season” Christmas decor, this vintage white ceramic tree, which will feature only fall-toned bulbs until Friday at the earliest. I am so thankful for the friend who sold this to me for a great price last year!

As I was searching for other earth-toned pieces, I came across this beautiful vintage tea trivet that was among a whole stack of them my friend Ruth gave me last year. Ruth said she wanted me to have them one day, and she no longer saw any sense in my waiting until after she died to have them, so she asked me to come over and get them. She passed away in September at 83 (which somehow seemed *young* for Ruth), and I am so grateful not only for the many gifts she gave me over the years but also—and mainly—for her incredible friendship. (I’m still getting used to the idea of Ruth being in Heaven. Is she just sitting at the feet of Jesus? Has she resumed her lifelong loves of gardening and sewing? Is she catching up with family? As the song says, I can only imagine …)


“Always be thankful.” This simple little plaque from Dollar Tree (or “Dollar and a Quarter Tree," as a witty friend now calls it) caught my eye a few weeks ago. In my spiritual life, I can tell you that I’ve worked at becoming more thankful over the years, and it has sure made a difference in how I view life. (I hope I don’t whine and moan as much as I used to! I have much to be thankful for.)


This small teacup, with a pattern titled “Tea Drinker,” is cracked, but I bought it anyway on a trip to the beach with Alex years ago. There was a time I never would have bought a piece that wasn’t in absolutely perfect condition, but I’m learning to, if not embrace, at least accept the cracks in life!

This little German dish with roses? The sticker on the back tells me I paid 50 cents for it at the Salvation Army. And to think, there was a time when I didn’t care to visit thrift stores. Now, I prefer them and truly appreciate the joy of thrifting as well as my thrifted finds.

So that’s my Thanksgiving Tea Trolley roundup, and perhaps it will inspire you to think about some of the things that you’re thankful for this week!

6 comments:

  1. Your trolley looks wonderful! The white tree with the fall-toned bulbs is perfect for it, and I love all the other items and the stories they bring with them, cracks and all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How loving of Ruth to give you the things she loved. Recently I have given some of my things to different ones and it just makes me smile to know they will be well loved. I love the crack in your teacup too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Thanksgiving Tea Trolley is very nice! The items in it have good memories associated with them, which is very important. It's pleasant to have a quiet, tasteful Thanksgiving display before we go into the more elaborate Christmas decoration season.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I share your sentiments regarding Thanksgiving - heartwarming post! Jan H.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thankful for tea! Donnaz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely! I like how you decorated the white tree. I've even seen Halloween trees similar to that.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!