Wednesday, November 9, 2022

Cream puff mix was once a thing. Who knew?


My friend Nancy, who knows I’m looking for old Valentine’s Day recipes, alerted me to a vintage book with lots of old holiday recipes, so naturally, I hopped on eBay and got myself a copy of Betty Crocker’s Party Book. This book was actually printed in 1960, and this is the facsimile version from 2009, which is just so fun to read.


I always look for teatime in any cookbook I come across, and this page features a Mother's Day tea. Most of the foods looked fairly traditional, but I was puzzled about the identity of that purple floral dish on the cake stand at the center of the photo. Can you tell what it is? I couldn't, so I had to read the info: "Top a white glass cake stand with bunches of violets tied with pink net … centered with [a] pink rose and violet corsage." Here's a better idea: Don't try this at home. Some decorating ideas simply don't age well!


It's fun, though, to read the vintage recipes and text, like this comment that "antiques lend charm" to our decorating. Yes they do!


And last but not least, have you ever made cream puffs? I have not. I keep meaning to learn to make them, but I was truly surprised to learn that Betty Crocker at one time made Cream Puff Mix! Now where is that stuff when I need it? If you're curious about what cream puff mix used to look like (and I was), you'll find an old ad for this cream puff mix on Pinterest here!



4 comments:

  1. I completely agree about that unusual floral centerpiece! It's different, that's for sure. But the cream puff mix sounds interesting, I kind of wish they still made it. It can be such fun to read through these vintage books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun! Looks like there are lots of little hints and tips in this cookbook. Never knew about cream puff mix! Enjoyed seeing the advertisement, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of cream puff mix! I've made cream puffs from scratch many times, and it's not difficult. I agree that that violet centerpiece is not at all attractive. But the treats look good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never heard of cream puff mix. When we were first married Jim liked to make cream puffs. I think it is fairly easy, worth giving it a try. Go for it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!