Wednesday, October 5, 2022

A fun find from the Cotton Pickin' Fair


On Sunday, I made a quick visit to the Cotton Pickin' Fair in Gay, Georgia. I hadn't been to this fair in years, but fall is such a fun time to visit a country fair, and not surprisingly, I came home with a few goodies, including this fun piece of pottery in the shape of a teacup. It's about 3-1/4 inches inches high and 7-1/2 inches wide from lip to handle. Do you know what it is? 


Here's another photo with a better view of the lip.


I'd just finished scoring a vintage Christmas tablecloth when I saw this sign and knew I needed to check out the wares!


Do you like pottery? Although I'm obviously crazy about my fine bone china teacups and teapots, I also have a great appreciation for handmade pottery. So when I saw this colorful jewel-toned piece in the shape of a teacup, I had to have it, even though I didn't know quite what it was. So what is it? A berry juicer, according to the potter from Alabama! But she said some customers have used it as an African violet bowl since they can put the water in the rim. My thought? A yarn ball holder with the yarn coming out of one of those holes!


And I loved getting home and realizing the potter had signed my new multi-purpose piece. You can follow Sweet Tea Pottery on Facebook to see where else you might come across these lovely wares.

4 comments:

  1. That's really cute! And "berry washer" makes sense, as I had thought it was some type of colander. But yarn holder sounds like a fun use for it, too. I'm glad you had fun at the fair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mi diverte tanto andare in giro per i mercatini e le fiere, sono ricchi di pezzi di storia, buon pomeriggio!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! I thought it might be a tea strainer. I like your idea of a yarn bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have guessed that piece to be a colander for washing and serving berries. I have seen them most often called "berry bowls." That one is very cute, and very nice that it's signed and dated by the artist!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!