Wednesday, October 26, 2022

A birthday visit … and a little thrifting on the side!


Last Tuesday, Alex and I flew to Wisconsin and arrived late that night, so we were there Wednesday morning to surprise grandson Michael, who turned twelve that day! It was so fun seeing him and his brother, Andrew, since our Badger Boys are growing up so quickly. Here we are with the boys, and we love visiting in the fall since the leaves there are so stunning, with rich golds and some orange colors that we never see down South.


We like to give birthday gifts that remind Michael of his Georgia roots, and it doesn't hurt that the Georgia Bulldogs are currently ranked number one!


We enjoyed a fish fry with family, several afternoon walks through my stepdaughter's lovely neighborhood, and even a trip to a coffee and tea shop/bookstore in Green Bay (where I ordered tea, of course). We also enjoyed lunch one day at a stir-fry restaurant called HuHot that we like but don't have back in Georgia. And whenever we were out and about, Alex asked if I wanted to hit some thrift stores. I found a few things so lovely that I had to carefully pack clothes around them in my suitcase so I could get them back to Georgia—especially this "Daily Bread" plate I found at De Pere Christian Outreach, a thrift store where my stepdaughter's in-laws volunteer. I think this handled plate is one of the prettiest "Daily Bread" plates I've ever seen, and at $4, it wasn't about to be left behind.


Are any of you Fenton glassware collectors? My parents were actually Fenton dealers years ago, so we love us some Fenton in my family. But I did not have this ruffled rose vase. Again, $4. And despite the TSA folks who always seem determined to rattle my suitcase or purse (or me), I had this vase wrapped in a thick sweater, and it made it safely home on the plane. Isn't it gorgeous?


I also like the St. Vincent de Paul thrift stores I discovered in Wisconsin years ago, and this $1.69 Christmas dessert plate matches a teacup and saucer I bought at an antique store a year or two ago.


St. Vinny's also had these 95-cent McCall's recipe booklets (from 1965), which include some Christmas and Valentine's Day recipes that I will try to recreate someday, so these were fun finds as well. I always enjoy our trips to Wisconsin, but I sure wish I could move this lovely state (and especially some of those who live there) a little closer to me!


6 comments:

  1. How wonderful that you could be present for your grandson's birthday! You found some great things along the way, too, and I'm very glad they all made it home safely. I especially admire that Fenton vase, and what a great price for it! I have a few Fenton pieces that I treasure, most had belonged to my grandparents. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely you were there to celebrate Michael's 12th birthday with him and his family. Absolutely love your thrift store finds especially that iridescent Christmas plate. The Fenton dish is beautiful and it really is one of the prettier "Give us this day..." plates. Excellent thrifting skills, Angela. Hugs, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you got to spend some time with your "Badger Boys," especially on one of their birthdays. I'm also happy that all your great thrift-store finds made it safely home, due to your good packing! I especially like the "Daily Bread" plate--I have a similar one, except that it has the words in German; I got it at a church rummage sale here many years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful finds! Donnaz

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do love that Fenton. I don't think I have seen one with painted roses. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!