Tuesday, September 6, 2016

A beautiful Labor Day weekend in the mountains

When Alex asked whether I'd rather spend our anniversary weekend in one of the busy tourist towns of Tennessee or quiet little Dillard, Ga., I immediately chose Dillard. We both love to enjoy some R&R in quiet, relaxing spots, so the Dillard House in the North Georgia mountains was again the choice.

 This was, I believe, our third visit there in recent years, and it was just about as perfect a weekend as we could have hoped for. Nice weather, quiet guests, good food, and beautiful scenery. I took this photo of the mountains after my daily Bible reading one morning had me in Psalm 144:5: "Bow thy heavens, O LORD, and come down: touch the mountains, and they shall smoke." This was definitely a great illustration of that verse!

The Dillard House has a lovely flower garden out front that we visited one evening at twilight, and once again, I was captivated by the dahlias. I don't believe I had ever seen one "live" until I first saw them in Dillard.

On Saturday, we ate lunch at the Clayton Café, a wonderful little meat-and-three recommended by a friend who grew up in the area. Her suggestion of the fried chicken was spot-on! Then we went back to the inn so Alex could watch the season opener of the Georgia Bulldogs (yay, Bulldogs won!) while I went off exploring the local antique malls. (Recipe for a happy marriage: Sometimes he does his thing and I do my thing!) I didn't find a teacup that just bowled me over this time, however, so I decided oh well, no tea souvenir for this trip.

But at the very last store I went in on Saturday (which happens to be owned by family of the above-mentioned friend), I found this adorable little tea strainer on clearance for a great price. A perfect memento of a picture-perfect weekend!

5 comments:

  1. Very Beautiful Pictures- Happy Anniversary!!!
    Karyl Conover

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Dillard House! I have never stayed there but I have visited the area for years and always enjoy eating there. Even before I lived in the mountains, we would spend long weekends and vacations at a B & B in Mountain City, just down the road from Dillard. (Unfortunately it is no longer a B & B) I'm glad you had a lovely weekend in the mountains. And I love your souvenir!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a very beautiful place - I can see why it is a favorite! And love the souvenir! What a sweet remembrance of a special anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Angela, what a wonderful place for an anniversary. When I lived in the Atlanta area I hiked every weekend with a group. Many times we stopped at the Dillard House at the end of our hiking day and had a wonderful feast of their delicious food. I have never stayed there, so maybe I can do that on a future trip when I get back to the area. I love your little momento of your trip, too. Thanks for bringing back some of my wonderful memories, too. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful place to commemorate your anniversary!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!