Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Twenty years ago, in Victoria magazine …

My old issues of Victoria magazine continue to bring me much pleasure, including this one, which, I realized, set me on a quest to find this very Wedgwood teacup and saucer bearing the handwriting of Josiah Wedgwood. I wouldn't obtain my teacup until almost 12 years after this issue of the magazine appeared, but at least now I know exactly how long I'd been searching for it! (Moral of the story: If you're looking for something, don't give up!)

The July 1996 issue contained so many goodies, I thought I'd take you down memory lane with me here. First of all, aqua blue glass canning jars are all the rage today, and you can find them lots of places, but I didn't realize Victoria featured one of the vintage versions (naturally) way back in 1996.

I feel as if I'm on a tea-spotting treasure hunt each time I look into one of these old issues of the magazine, and here, I found a teapot I don't recall seeing before, one the article said is by Walsh Trading Co.

But the teawares I loved most, clearly, were these teacups by Wedgwood, which from the get-go appealed to my writerly soul. I knew that it was a facsimile of Josiah Wedgwood's handwriting on them, but I did not know that ...



... the letter was originally penned by Wedgwood on Valentine's Day of 1774. So thank you, Victoria, for the lovely memories, and for inspiring the purchase of a teaware or two!

9 comments:

  1. What is old becomes new again! Fun to look back.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you were able to find that teacup, it is very special to see the magazine that inspired your search for it, along with the teacup and saucer itself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was wonderful that you found the cup and saucer. I too, love love the older Victoria's. The photography was so special! Aperture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post and that teacup. I would have to buy it if I found it. Love the old issues of Victoria too. Must pull some out of their storage box soon and reminisce.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hello, Angela - how wonderful Victoria magazine was (and with you sharing them, they 'live on!' today). What a pretty teapot and your teacup is lovely too. Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Angela, I learn more from you! After you showed this Wedgewood cup some time ago I found one and have it packed away for whenever my house sells and I finally move. I may have to look for a second one now. Blessings for all you do and share

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that wedgewood cup & saucer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that wedgewood cup & saucer.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!