Saturday, July 30, 2016

My Country, 'Tis of Tea — New Jersey




It's the home of both Princeton and the TV show "Jersey Shore," and its state bird is the American Goldfinch, but what about New Jersey and tea?



Did you know there is a plant known as New Jersey Tea? It's actually Ceanothus americanus, a shrub that got its nickname during the American Revolution when its leaves were used as a substitute for imported tea. And despite the name, it grows in many places in the US (click here to read more).


• We all know about tea being thrown into the Boston Harbor on December 16, 1773, but I'll bet not many of us know about the great "tea  burning" that was held in Greenwich, New Jersey, on December 22, 1774! I came across some info about this 1950 book, now on my wish list, called "Tea Burning Town: The Story of Greenwich on the Cohansey in West New Jersey" by Joseph S. Sickler. When I searched online, I found an article at nj.com that told how, on that evening in 1774, a stolen shipment of tea was set ablaze in the town square! The article says, "To this day, Greenwich’s identity is built around scorched tea as a symbol of courage and independence. The town’s annual charity 5k run is called the Tea Burner Race. Its logo is a flaming crate." Click here to read more of this fascinating tale!




• "CAROLINA TEA ROOM. Helen and Jewel, Proprietors. 1734 Asbury Avenue, Neptune, N.J. Famous Throughout Jersey For Southern Home Cooking." This is one of the postcards from my collection of vintage tearoom postcards, and I still find it intriguing that "Southern Home Cooking" was being offered in this tearoom. I also find it interesting that the top photo above shows tall electric fans on both sides of the tea room. That's something I picture us needing here in the hot South but not necessarily in New Jersey!


SaveSave
SaveSave

7 comments:

  1. I love all the interesting things I learn from this Saturday series! Who knew they burned tea in NJ? Great postcard, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do find the most interesting tea information for each state. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. NJ! We also have wonderful tea rooms. Thanks for sharing Angela.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How interesting. I too have never heard of the tea burning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such interesting tea facts on New Jersey, had never heard of the tea burning incident. I think it's neat how they include it in their historical celebrations.

    Love the look of the Southern tea room, too. Have a great week, Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great vintage postcard! You always share such fun information.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!