Thursday, July 21, 2016

Senate ladies having tea, 1920

Another of the photos I recently came across on the Library of Congress website was this charming photo titled "Senate ladies' tea, Washington, D.C." The photo is from December of 1920, and one of the subject headings is "legislators' spouses," so I'm assuming we're looking at the wives of the senators at that time.

I wish they had more detailed photos from the tea! I tried to zoom in on the table with my photo-editing program, but that didn't work, so I'll just have to leave it to our imaginations to ponder precisely which glassware and china the "Senate ladies" enjoyed using nearly a hundred years ago!

5 comments:

  1. Another interesting picture! I wish we could see the china, see what was served, etc., but just the thought of the "Senate ladies" having tea 100 years ago brings a smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Back in the genteel days. Would love to see the serving ware up close!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How very special. Thanks for the share. It looks like they had quite a few to serve them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely photo. I too wonder what is on the table

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! They were probably organizing for an important cause.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!