Wednesday, July 13, 2016

When good teas go bad …

So the grocery store had this Tazo Organic Peachy Green flavor of tea on sale for just $2.99 a box this week, and I thought I'd give it a try. A blend of green and black teas with peach flavor? Sounded interesting.

"Flowery peach and delicate cucumber notes," it said. A) I want my cucumber in sandwiches, not my tea and B) Peach and cucumber? I didn't read that part or I might not have been so quick to purchase this bargain tea.

But here's the thing: this tastes like plain tea. No peach flavor that I could detect, and certainly no cucumber. It's not bad, exactly, and maybe it was simply past its sell-by date, but it's just not the flavorful tea I paid for and expected to sip. So this will go into my "mystery iced tea" collection. This summer, I've been having a fun time using up bits of leftover teas and blending a new iced tea every few days. I've sipped iced greens and blacks and rooiboses, and occasionally I've even blended plain black and green teas with some fruit-flavored tea bags. It's not a bad way to use up tea that's lost its luster. Like this one. What do you do with old or less-than-sparkling teas? Do you ever make iced tea with them?



4 comments:

  1. A) I completely agree on the cucumber! and B) What a disappointment - no wonder it was on sale. At least it didn't taste BAD, and can be blended with other teas. (That's a good idea, thank you.) I tried some Republic of Tea "Comfort and Joy" tea iced, last week - it was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely they go into my mystery ice teas. Not that fond of Tazo in any form, but especially when they were taken over by Starbucks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had never even thought about an expiration on teas. When I don't like a tea I just toss it out. This has not happened very often though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry your tea wasn't as flavorful as hoped. I love your "mystery iced tea" term. I do the same thing with teas I want to use up.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!