Monday, July 18, 2016

Blueberry & Brown Sugar Muffins

My dad has been sending me home with lots of fresh blueberries lately, so when it was time to bake something for our Sunday School breakfast social over the weekend, I decided to experiment with a new muffin recipe.

I do love the taste of ripe, fresh blueberries oozing through a muffin, especially since the result looks like a nice and tidy little cobbler. I also like the crunch of brown sugar on top of a muffin, so …

I decided to add cinnamon to my blueberry muffins, top them with brown sugar, and the result was a muffin I believe I'll be enjoying for quite a while to come. Maybe you too?

Blueberry & Brown Sugar Muffins

1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg
1/3 to 1/2 cup milk (I used 2-percent milk)
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup fresh blueberries
About 1/3 cup brown sugar, or as desired


Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a medium bowl, add flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon and mix well. In a 1-cup glass measuring cup, add the vegetable oil, egg, and enough milk to bring the total contents of the measuring cup to 1 cup. Add vanilla and blend well. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix lightly, just till combined. Fold in blueberries. Divide batter among paper muffin cups, sprinkle with a scant teaspoon or so of brown sugar, and bake for 17-20 minutes or until a toothpick or tester comes out clean. Yields 12 muffins.

10 comments:

  1. Looks and sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love blueberries and will be making these. What pretty paper cups!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look both beautiful and tasty! I love a crispy buttery brown sugar topping on blueberry muffins. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look so beautiful! My family loves blueberry muffins and I will certainly be trying this recipe! Would you share where you found the beautiful paper cups? I have never seen any quite so pretty! Perfect for a tea party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jana, I found these at HomeGoods, and they often have pretty ones there!

      Delete
  5. Your blueberry muffins look delicious, and I'll bet not a crumb was left after serving them at the Sunday School breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, I have such a weakness for blueberry muffins. Now I need to make some. Sooooooo good with morning tea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! These look great. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  8. Copying this...I DO love blueberries!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  9. Angela, You inspired me,went blueberry picking,came home used your recipe,yummy,shared with my neighbor,thank you.Christine

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!