Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Finding tea in the Bible!

As soon as I learned of journaling Bibles last year, I wanted one. My only dilemma was that my favorite Bible version was the King James, and I could find these Bibles only in the NIV and other translations. I like many of these translations, and when I'm doing in-depth study, I like to read a verse in every translation I can get my hands on, but for daily reading, I'm most comfortable with the version I grew up with, the King James. So when I found "My Creative Bible" in the KJV and it was both a journaling AND a coloring Bible…

…and I saw that it had a design with both roses and handwriting on the cover, I had to have it. (Thank you to my husband for the generous Amazon gift card at Christmas, which I managed to use well into the new year.)

And guess what's one of the first things I colored in my new Bible? For years I have plundered the pages of scripture looking for a verse on tea, but I just couldn't find one. So when I saw this coloring page, I was quite pleased!

Most of the coloring images are along the side of a page, but on Easter I colored this full-page one. (Be nice. I haven't practiced coloring in years.)

And I still haven't colored this one yet, but this image of David dancing cracks me up. I think David looks more like John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever here!


These blank lines for the journaling, however, are the primary reason I wanted this Bible. For years, I've been writing down in various notebooks some of the great phrases I discover right in the middle of Bible verses. I'm forever saving titles for future books and articles. The other day in  Sunday School, our teacher was reading along in Isaiah 28 (verse 21), and I latched onto the phrase "his strange work." Wouldn't that be a great title for something, His Strange Work? Many years ago, I became smitten with the phrase "harps upon the willows" in Psalm 137:2. Surely that should be the title of something. An article or a book on grief, maybe? Or a mystery about a character who overcomes grief?

And discovering that illustration with the teacup made me realize that there are no doubt plenty of verses about eating and drinking that can be applied to teatime. Now, I've got a place to record these thoughts (however oddball they may be) and be as creative as I want. My favorite verses in the Bible are Proverbs 3:5 and 6 — "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." I can't help believing this even applies to the "teatime paths" where I have met so many wonderful new friends! Have you come across any "teatime" verses in the Bible? If you have, please feel free to share them anytime. And if you happen to have a favorite verse, feel free to share that too—y'all know I need all the help I can get!

12 comments:

  1. Don’t worry about anything, but pray about everything. With thankful hearts offer up your prayers and requests to God. Phil. 4:6

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful post and thanks so much for that very sweet card with tea! How very thoughtful of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful post and thanks so much for that very sweet card with tea! How very thoughtful of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I really like that idea - journaling AND coloring in a Bible. And I love that the teacup is used in the illustration you showed. I always make notes in my Bible so it's great to actually have room for that. A couple of my favorite verses: "Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof" Matthew 6:34 - which was actually my grandmother's favorite verse. As a child I didn't really understand it but as an adult, it's a great reminder not to worry! And Jeremiah 29:11, "For I know the plans I have for you...". and many others, but those 2 came to mind first.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite verse is "This is the day the Lord has made,let us rejoice and be glad". When I'm having a day that is not going well and I'm really frustrated or want to swear, instead I repeat this verse to remind myself that God gave me this day and it's up to me to make it good or bad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been thinking about a journaling bible ever since one was shared on ATTAA but will likely get a different version myself. I use a NKJ for bible study but prefer scripture from the bibles the other ladies use so I'll have to think on this.
    We just talked last week about people that highlight and write in their bibles but I can't bring myself to do this and use journals for notes too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea..my Bible has my scribbling and highlighting all through it. It would look much nicer with a section for journaling. Two of my favorite verses are1 Psalm 19:14 ‡ May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing† in your sight, LORD, my Rock† and my Redeemer.† and Jeremiah 29:11 ‡ For I know the plans† I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper† you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.† 12 ‡ Then you will call† on me and come and pray† to me, and I will listen† to you. 13You will seek† me and find me when you seek me with all of your heart. Margie/Tully, NY

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've not seen this bible. How fun. The picture of David is funny. Numbers 6:24-26 is one of my favorite verses.

    ReplyDelete
  9. “Taste and see that the Lord is good;
    blessed is the man who takes refuge in him.”
    Psalm 34:8

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea, Angela, you find the such wonderful things. Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great idea, Angela, you find such wonderful things. Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  12. I, too, have been lured by the Bible art journaling. However, I have not been able to bring myself to color like that in my Bible. I use just a plain old notebook. It has been a great avenue of worship for me. I love following your blog. This week I am stressed to the max preparing a Tea for 120 people! That I Corinthians 10:31 verse illustrated with a tea theme was just what I needed this morning. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!