Monday, April 18, 2016

A happy thrifter


Recently on the Afternoon Tea Across America (ATAA) Facebook page, one of the members shared a photo of the most wonderful old Queen Anne teacup she'd found at her local thrift store, and I felt like such a thrift store slacker, as I had never come across a truly beautiful teacup at any of my haunts. "She just has better thrifting opportunities than I do," I thought, and I wondered if I'd ever come across a truly great find at any of my local thrift stores. Then, on Saturday, I was about to leave the Carrollton Goodwill store when I saw an entire shelf of teacups up front near the register, a sight I'd never seen at that store before. You know the feeling. Your heart starts racing, and you're hoping no one else will notice them until you can get there! The first one I spotted: this Rosina chintz teacup, a piece that's long been on my wish list!

I quickly picked it up and began running my fingers around the cup and the saucer to check for chips. (Doing it without looking so that I would truly *feel* any flaws rather than just looking for them. It was perfect!) There were probably eight or ten more cup and saucer sets, but I noticed one was horribly chipped, one was glued back together so poorly that glue was oozing through the cracks, and so it went. In fact, they were in such shoddy shape, I decided to check this teacup and saucer one more time to make sure I wasn't missing the fact that, say, the handle had been glued on. (I've made that mistake once and don't intend to make it again!)

But no, the happy news is that even once I got home and removed the industrial-strength tape that Goodwill is so fond of using to hold its china cups and saucers together, this set was perfect. And since I paid just $3.33 for the set, I'm suddenly feeling much better about my thrifting opportunities. That great buy was just a matter of time!

14 comments:

  1. What a lucky find! I have never found a nice teacup in my thrifting trips either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's beautiful! But you often find great things ar thrift stores, I've had those same " better thrifting opportunities" thoughts after reading about your finds! Maybe not teacups, though, so I'm glad this one was waiting for you to find it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness but that is a treasure! There is little of interest at ours...it's quite sad. So glad you found a treasure!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great find! I liked your description of how you check for flaws - I'll remember that the next time I'm at the thrift shop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! I'm so happy for you. What a wonderful find!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know how it works. Ask and it shall be given you. You knew you'd find it someday, but I'll bet you didn't think you'd get it at such a bargain price. It's just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful find and great price!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love - love your chintz cup and saucer. You did good - reallly good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great score, Angela! I always thought you were the Thrift Store Queen so it made me smile when I read about you feeling like a thrift store slacker.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is just gorgeous, I love those cup and saucer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh this is a teacup I would love, love finding at my Goodwill. Eventhough I don't often buy anymore I wouldn't be able to pass it up. Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have always loved this pattern, it just says 'Springtime,' doesn't it? I would say this pattern falls into my 'Top Ten' favorites! So glad you were able to get it, Angela. Joanie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!