Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Gertie's cup

Pieces of glass, china, and silver speak to me for different reasons. This 2-1/2-inch tall tarnished silverplate cup caught my eye at Goodwill on Saturday because of the bleeding hearts! I absolutely love bleeding hearts, and I think their design, like all of what God creates, is simply amazing.

And that looks like blackberries on the back. Take a look at the top rim of the cup. Would you believe about half of it is separated from the cup? I didn't know that that could happen to silver, and I must admit I'm rather fascinated by it. It's obviously a sturdy piece, not fragile at all, so I wonder what makes a silver rim separate from a cup? (Any thoughts?)

But what really spoke to me on this cup was the name on the left of the cup as I'm holding it: Gertie. Who was Gertie? Was that a baby or a little girl? How did the cup land at the Goodwill store in Carrollton? If I hadn't already planned all my Teatime Tales for the rest of the year, I would have to make up a story about Gertie's cup!

The other interesting thing about this cup was that it's marked James W. Tufts Quadruple Plate, and if you look the maker up online, you'll fine some beautiful tea sets made by this company. Through a little online research, I learned that James W. Tufts started producing his silverplated items in 1875, and they were called quadruple plate, as you might expect, because they were made with four times the amount of silver used for standard silverplate wares. You'll note the $1.31 price, but I must hasten to point out that because this piece was marked "Y" and yellow items were half off that day at Goodwill, Gertie's cup cost me just 65 cents. I think I've already had more than 65 cents' worth of fun with it!

14 comments:

  1. I love this cup, Angela. How fascinating it is. There is surely an interesting story behind it. I would have had fun at the yellow sale. :) Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the old pieces...and they indeed do beckon to speculating on family tales...right up your alley!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like it may have been made in several pieces. The bottom certainly is. So, perhaps the soldier has failed on the top. Are you going to polish it? It's lovely nevertheless.
    sherry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, what a sweet cup! I love the bleeding hearts, too, and I think you are right about the blackberries. An interesting piece for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome cup - and do hope you make up a lovely story in 2016 about it,

    It has such history. Wonder if it were a little one, and she turned into a ravishing beauty or pioneer for women's rights or something named Gertrude?

    Ah, I hear the tea kettle ready and whistling a happy tune of readiness; I bid thee good day, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The person who said the cup was made of different pieces soldered together was probably right. It might have been made as a practice piece by an apprentice who was learning his trade. No matter, it's a lovely piece and with a bit of polish will be gorgeous. And PLEASE DO give us a story about it! :>)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Finally! I can leave a comment! I just knew you were at Goodwill and shopping on Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great find, Angela. It was waiting there for you to take it home and treasure it.
    Enjoy it's uniqueness and I am sure it will inspire you to create a tea tale that we all will enjoy.

    Mary Jane

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoyed reading about your new-found treasures, Angela, it was meant for you to "rescue" this cup!

    I hope you will do a follow up story, you are so creative. Have a great day, Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Angela, the Gertie story is for your second book!

    The base metal was not soldered well at the point where it separated but didn't show then it was plated. Eventually there was stress on the weak part. I make silver jewelry and often get frustrated, recently soldered ear posts on a pair of earrings, all seemed fine during cleaning then when I started polishing a post popped off. Grrr.

    It's a lovely cup, how tall and wide?

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful old cup. I too love bleeding hearts. My grandma had a huge plant in her yard.

    ReplyDelete
  12. There is surely an interesting story behind it. That's cute!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is quite a wonderful find for under a dollar! What a treasure. I would fill it with flowers.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!