Saturday, February 22, 2014

Tea Room Postcard #8 — Shady Lawn Tea Room (Atlanta, Georgia)

One of these days I'd like to drive to Stewart Avenue in Atlanta and see if this building, which once was home to the Shady Lawn Tea Room, is still there. Now, that is an innocent enough statement unless you happen to be familiar with Atlanta. You see, Stewart Avenue has indeed become known for ladies with shady businesses, but alas, they are not of the tea room variety. I find it a bit ironic, then, that this tea room was known as the Shady Lawn Tea Room.

I'll bet the tea room was perfectly respectable in its day, with Ellen Burke, Proprietress, serving up her Chicken & Steaks and Combination Meals. I'm again reminded that some of the early tea rooms were much more likely to serve what I call "country cooking," and I do believe I would have enjoyed dining on Stewart Avenue way back when!

7 comments:

  1. Another wonderful bit of Altanta, and tearoom, history!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the 1950's I remember restaurants being called tea rooms. (Not the 60's) Fun postcard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even though I have lived in Atlanta I have not heard of that area, so please check it out and take pictures of what is at this address and at least share with us what is there now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shady Lawn sounds like a nursing home; at least the tearoom is preserved on the postcard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, I would have love to gone there... New follower.. Happy Sunday with love Janice

    ReplyDelete
  6. This just made me smile.
    I hope you do drive by there and if the building is still there take a picture for us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Angela, your postcard brings back memories: we actually lived on post at Fort MacPherson in the 1990's. Stewart Avenue was not far away.

    Fort MacPherson was a community of its own, complete with a golf course, tennis courts, grocery store, restaurant, even a bowling alley. I would have loved to visit that tea room! Thanks for sharing, Joanie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!