Saturday, February 1, 2014

Tea Room Postcard #5 - Carolina Tea Room (Neptune, N.J.)

Since today's postcard features a little "North and South" discussion, I would like to ask my northern friends to be especially compassionate and merciful this week. Yes, it's true, my part of the country can be completely immobilized by two inches of snow. Yes, my governor claimed the storm was "unexpected" (which was indeed odd since I started hearing about the potential storm from a friend in Savannah Sunday afternoon). And yes, the mayor of Atlanta thinks reporters are picking on him for questioning that magnificent traffic snarl that left heaven knows how many good people stuck in traffic for nearly a day. (That's an exaggeration. A kind fellow I used to go to church with was stuck in traffic for a mere 23-1/2 hours. I, as a lifelong snowstorm scaredy-cat, did not leave the house after the first snowflake fell.) I've said all that to say this: Don't judge us by our snowstorms. Judge us by our food, OK? And why do I say that? Especially when this week's postcard is from the Carolina Tea Room in Neptune, New Jersey?

Check it out: "CAROLINA TEA ROOM. Helen and Jewel, Proprietors. 1734 Asbury Avenue, Neptune, N.J. Famous Throughout Jersey For Southern Home Cooking." I also found it interesting that the first photo shows tall electric fans on both sides of the tea room. Now that is certainly a touch that would be fitting in the (usually!) hot South, and good for Helen and Jewel for including it! I don't have a date for this postcard since it was never used, but according to a few postcard websites I consulted, the box reading "PLACE ONE CENT STAMP HERE" indicates the card is from 1951 or earlier. Fun stuff to learn! (How to drive on Atlanta highways in the snow and ice? Not so much!)

12 comments:

  1. I'm with you,I stayed home for three days and there is still 2 inches of snow in my driveway! The road was finally plowed yesterday. Anyway, love the postcard, that' same real treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a real treasure! Darn autocorrect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my darling, the big difference about your snowstorms is that NONE of you - the peeps or the STATE - is prepared for it. You havent' grown up with it, you have no salt to put down on the roads and highways, you have lots of fear (understandably) of something you don't know well...I would never EVER judge. I think it is especially scary for any of you - esp the big rigs - to deal with it.

    Oh, even with our experience and zillion pounds of salt (by the way many states that have ocean access use sand instead, much better than salt in my opinion b/c salt changes our eco system and def takes the finish off our cars!)

    So stay home, bake something delish and call a neighbor over to tea, and together ponder the beauty of snow. : - )

    God bless. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. But the important question is did you stock up on milk and bread before the snow? I've always wondered why everyone does this. :-) We stayed home and played in our inch of snow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a "northern friend," I got a chuckle from your post. We may be used to lots of snow, but we still have our share of spin-outs and accidents on the roads. Since I'm retired, I stayed inside my cozy house most of the week myself, and didn't venture out into the weather. I'm counting the days until spring!
    It was fun learning about another tea room, and you're right - southerners are definitely great cooks! Love my Southern Living cookbooks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Charming, and certainly with a Southern ambiance. Those big ole Church Fans graced quite a few of the establishments in our small town when I was growing up.

    I've been here a while, immersed in the "tea sandwiches" section---I thought I'd come back and comment, and then I got carried away, WAY over into the turkeys and curry and bells.

    Something about the preparation of those wee dainties just calls to the hostess/little girl/cook in me, and I'm lost every time, turning pages and scrolling down, til I've looked my eyes full. They're like little edible jewelry.

    I DID put the URL of that section into my own Tea Party files in WORD, for using and for looking some more.

    It all started with the Hot Collard Dip . . .

    rachel

    which we're serving for our Un-Super Bowl party tomorrow, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Smiling! I immediately noticed the fans and thought what a nice Southern touch for a tea room in New Jersey.
    To tell you the truth, I am much further north, but it would have been the same problem here too. Places that don't often have snow just don't know how to deal with it. Like you I would just stay home and thoroughly enjoy it in my neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a southwestern girl who now lives in the land of snow and cold (19 years today) While it's fun for us to tease our southern brothers and sisters, the bottom line is that snow and ice can be tough when you're not ready or equipped for them, even if it isn't as bad as up north. Heck, even up here, at the beginning of our snow and ice season we have to regain our skills for driving in that nasty stuff because it's so easy to forget just how careful you need to be!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great tea room photo. Love that the tables are long, too. I have never seen fans that tall either. My best friend was caught in the traffic of the snow storm and slept in her car that night on her way home. There happened to be a woman in the next car over who got in with her, and this woman had just bought a new quilt, so they cozied up for the night. The bathroom breaks outside the car were a little breezy though. I remember when I lived in the Atlanta area and it snowed several times that no one seemed to know how to drive much less a full blown snow storm. Glad things are settling down there. Bless your grits! Love you and your blog. Come visit me in sunny Puerto Rico anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Coming from the land of ice and snow where we are used to winter driving, I can sympathize with you when it's not the norm for your state. Truthfully, there are usually accidents after our first snowfall because some folks forget to slow down with the slippery conditions.
    Made it to Florida this afternoon and all the sunshine alone was worth the drive.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this postcard and your series - it's so interesting! This tearoom looks so perfect for the time, as if it was a movie set. I like how all the tables have tablecloths, topped off with glass. Such a nice look.

    Glad the snow and ice have melted. We were lucky and did not get stuck on the roads.
    Hope you and Alex were safe.
    Joanie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!