Friday, February 21, 2014

Giving BlueChai a try

No, that's not Kool-Aid or Gatorade in my teacup, it's a new-to-me type of tea called BlueChai!

I was recently contacted by the company in Bangkok about trying a sample of this tea, described as "a tasty, blue health tea made from only the best butterfly pea flowers. Its rich, refreshing taste combined with the wonderful, intense blue color makes it a perfect tea but it can also be used as natural food coloring for baking, cooking, and drinks." This is what the loose herbal tea looked like when I opened the packet.

The instructions said to place 5-7 flowers in a cup, add boiling water, and let steep for 4-8 minutes. This is what my tea looked like when I first added water. The very first photo up top shows what the tea looked like after several minutes of steeping. I steeped the tea for just four minutes to start with, and it had a slightly vegetal scent with a flavor to match, just the merest hint of a vegetal something. I let it steep for the full eight minutes and the flavor deepened only a bit. Because the flavor was such a neutral with me, I can't say I'd choose BlueChai as a single cup of tea again, but I *would* be open to blending this tea with another flavored tea because of the color! I think the idea of a blue tea is really kind of cool, but my husband looked in my teacup and said, "It's unbiblical." I disagree.

Also, the website for BlueChai noted that if you mix a few drops of lemon with the tea, it makes the tea turn lavender, as shown here. Because of its low-key flavor, the fact it's natural and organic, and because of its unique coloring properties, I'm definitely open to further experimenting with BlueChai. You can learn more about it at bluechai.com, and there's also a Pinterest page here. I'd love to know what you think about BlueChai. Would you try it? How do you feel about a blue tea in your teacup?

11 comments:

  1. It is very pretty, although if it didn't taste as good as it looks, I would probably not be all that interested on a regular basis. However, I love the color, especially the lavender, so I agree, this could be a nice addition to blends or for special effects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems like it would turn your tongue and lips blue!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Sharon's comment. :-) I was thinking myself that it might be a little unsettling to see that colour in the teacup. It's pretty but I'm more for traditional teas and a deep amber colour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is an interesting color. It might be fun to share with the grandkids. Personally, however, I'm not a big fan of herbal teas, so it's not one I would purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks interesting, I am not a chai fan. There must be a reason there are no blue foods, except blueberries!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I love learning new things about tea, so I will give this a try. Thanks for sharing, I am really enjoying your Blog. I started blogging back in 2008 thru till about 2011, then I sort of dropped off the earth (LOL) Now, I'm back and loving discovering new Blogs to follow. Will visit often.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not quite sure if I would enjoy. I do love colors - blue and lavender - but I like your hubby's comment - and think I will stick to my favs! Pretty blue teacup! I love a spiced chair tea (hot chocolate consistency) - yummy! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This color is amazing - and might be fun for a Tea by the Sea themed event!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it.. love the color.. will have to find some here in San Francisco.. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks so pretty, and since I use lemon in my tea, I see it would be lavender. Not sure that I would buy it, but love the knowledge in case someday I need to through a tea for someone with that "signature" color.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How whimsical and fun. I probably wouldn't go out of my way to try, but if it was offered for sure I would try. You are right, it might be fun to blend with something else too, like real tea.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!