Monday, September 23, 2024

A surprise gift from my church!


Last week, my deacon's wife got in touch to say that she wanted to drop off "a gift from the church," and I was puzzled. Yes, my husband passed away back in April, but church friends already did a ton for me back then, and I'm no longer ugly-crying every day, so … Why would they want to give me a gift, and what could it be? Well, Fran comes by and, after navigating under the ladders and new sheetrock going up in my foyer, delivers a pretty gold bag that is absolutely brimming with gifts. What was inside?


A beautiful sage-green crocheted prayer shawl.


Some fun snacks. (I've already eaten the miniature Reese's cups.)


A candle and some scripture cards.


Lots of tea!


An inspirational coloring book and pencils.


An afternoon tea coloring book and metallic pencils.


A journal and pen.


And a book on grief that I didn't yet have! Turns out, my church's grief ministry times it so that after the initial shock of losing someone has worn off a bit, they like to give gifts just to let us members know that they're still thinking of us and praying for us. And the fellow widow who wrote me a sweet note said that she was sure to include tea gifts to let me know these gifts were chosen just for me, not just something they randomly put together. I was (and am) so overwhelmed! I don't know if any of you are part of a church that has a grief ministry, but I must say that I am completely bowled over by the way I've been ministered to by mine!

1 comment:

  1. A thoughtful and lovely gift from your church's grief ministry team! Jan H

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!