Friday, September 27, 2024

Girl Scouts and tea — a hundred years ago!

 


The Library of Congress website calls this image "Girl Scouts Tea room, Potomac Park, [Washington, D.C.]" and says the photo was created or published between 1920 and 1921.

Okay, but I have questions! The patrons look a little on the older side of Girl Scouting, so I'm guessing they're patrons at this "tea room" run by the Girl Scouts. It looks like two much younger folks hovering in the small building, which reminds me of the lakeside "canteen" where I worked a summer job in my teens.

The Library of Congress titled this image based on "unverified data provided by the National Photo Company," but assuming it's true, I'm intrigued that the Girl Scouts once operated an outdoor tea room. We churned butter and did sewing projects when I was in Girl Scouts, but I would have loved to have operated a tea room! Who are my fellow Girl Scouts reading today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!