Monday, July 17, 2023

Goodwill glass & more


There's a Goodwill near me that is a real dud. They've rarely had anything interesting in there, and yet I keep stopping by every now and then, thinking, "This may be the day." Well, it was the day last Thursday, as I found several treasures there and spent less than $10 for them all.


The first thing that caught my eye, as ever, had roses on it. It was a seven-inch bowl with this odd, irregular shape but some of the most gorgeous roses ever.


It was just $1.99, and I love to find pieces like this that I can use for styling photos, for creating pretty displays, and even for using as a candy dish sometimes. I also thought the blue-green shading of the leaves was unusual.


Now, I have a question for you. Have your tastes changed over time? Mine sure have. A friend who is a professional interior designer once told me that our tastes are said to change every seven years. Mine don't change that often, but one thing that *has* changed is that I didn't used to like etched glass but now I do. So when I saw this cute glass compote with shamrocks etched on it, I knew this $1.99 piece would be going home with me. Further research revealed that it is Eamon glass engraved in Ireland, and these pieces are currently selling for $20-$25 on eBay. I can't wait to decorate with this next March, and I'm also thinking this would be a pretty serving piece for some sort of mint-green pudding for St. Patrick's Day.


But my best find was the Peacock Pyrex pie plate at left. Since I collect Peacock Pyrex but almost never see it "live," I at first didn't believe that was what I was actually looking at. Last summer, I finally found a Peacock Pyrex pie plate I could afford on eBay (I'd been outbid for years), and I seem to recall it was $35 or so. When I saw this one marked $4.99, I grabbed it. Did I need two pie plates? Well, I got home and realized it was the basketweave pattern, not the plain one that I purchased last year, so yes, I needed both. Thrifted finds are the best, and as long as my tastes keep changing, the thrift store is a great place to shop!

5 comments:

  1. You were well-rewarded for your persistence in not giving up on that "dud" of a Good Will shop! You sure got some nice things this time! I particularly like the Irish glass compote with the etched shamrocks. In regard to one's tastes changing, I really don't find that mine have changed much over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were so lucky with your Goodwill finds. I'm so "jelly" (jealous). Have a nice day ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never seen Peacock Pyrek. More than one pie plate is definitely OK. I have 4 pie plates. My taste have for sure changed. I keep telling my "live-in gardener" I want to sell some of our furniture and get different things. He wants to hold onto everything forever and doesn't like when I say that. One of these days if I find the right things I may do it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nancy in northeast IowaJuly 17, 2023 at 10:44 PM

    I love shopping in the thrift stores....you just never know what you're going to find....it's like going on a treasure hunt every time you go into one of them. I don't think my tastes have changed much over the years, but I know for certain that space to put my "treasures" gets harder to find as time goes by. LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the irregular shape of the bowl. My tastes have changed, but not every 7 years. I used to love light blue and now I can't stand it. There are a few other things, around the house, i would love to change but can't really justify since it's fine as is and just a personal change in taste.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!