Friday, August 12, 2022

Let's talk tea caddies





Tea friend Diane M. sends me links to the most interesting pieces. She manages to come across so many unusual articles, images, and fun facts about teatime, and this week, she sent along a link to a Collectors Weekly article about tea caddies (a screen grab of which is shown here). I've always hoped to come across one of these genuine antique tea caddies, but I don't believe I've ever even laid eyes on one, much less purchased one.

The article notes, "Because the price of tea was so dear in the 18th century, homemakers in the Old and New Worlds alike stored their green and black teas in special containers made of porcelain, sterling silver, and lead-lined wood, some of which were fitted with locks." Can you imagine having to keep your tea under lock and key? Thank goodness we don't have to do that today!

The piece goes on to mention a collector of tea caddies and the book that her son wrote about her collection. I'd never even heard of this book, so it's now on my Amazon/eBay wish list. If you're interested in tea caddies and this tea caddy book, go here to read the article for yourself. (Do any of you own an antique tea caddy? If so, I'm officially jealous!)

4 comments:

  1. That is a very interesting article! Thank you for bringing it to our attention. I do not own an antique tea caddy, but I would love to have one of those pretty porcelain ones. Maybe someday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello how do I become a member of Teawithfriend? Is there an app for this blog or anything?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting. Thanks for sharing Diane and Angela.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No caddies here, but fascinating! Marilyn M.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!