Wednesday, May 4, 2022

You never know when you'll spot a new teapot …

 


On Saturday, I attended two writers group meetings in neighboring Sharpsburg. The small building where we met didn't have a restroom (a deal breaker for this middle-aged lady!), but I heard that we could pop over next door where a gentleman has an auction business, as he is apparently known as friendly for sharing his facilities in town, and several of us traipsed over there to take advantage of them. On the way downstairs to the restroom, I looked on a shelf and spotted this dusty teapot, which caught my eye.


I asked whether it was for sale, and the gentleman said sure and quoted me a price of $10. Yes, I bought it on the spot, and look how well it cleaned up! And if you look at far right, you can see where someone used this so much that she rubbed the gold off the top of the handle. I love that little detail, and it set my mind awhirl. (Meaning it may show up in a future book.)


I find the coloring of this teapot just charming, like the fact it's gold on top of the handle and cream underneath.


And when I looked this over right there in Sharpsburg, I was surprised to find this is a Sadler. It's definitely not the shape, color, or pattern of any of my other Sadlers, but I love it. I got back to my meeting, and a writer friend looked down at one point and said, "Is that a teapot in your purse?" I wonder why she found that so surprising …

I've happened upon teapots in stores and thrift stores and at estate sales and flea markets many times, but I must say this is the first time I've ever bought one on my way to the restroom!




9 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good mystery tea story to me! Donna z

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how perfect for you! The right color, with roses, pretty gold trim, and obviously well-used and well-loved. I'm so glad you found it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joy, you speak for us both! Angela, I love that you noticed this special teapot, and what a great deal for a Sadler.

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday Angela! Beautiful Sadler teapot, just your color. No wonder it caught your eye! Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess that teapot was an early birthday present to yourself, so I hope you enjoy it. One of the morals of the story--always carry a purse big enough to carry a teapot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like details that need to be in an upcoming book. :-) Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love everything about that teapot. The colors are beautiful, and to me look "retro", to use a trendy word. Like you said, someone sure loved using it, which makes it even more beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a deal ! And the gentleman was repaid for his act of kindness. Love your new teapot. I would have bought it too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely love this one. What a special find.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!