Wednesday, May 11, 2022

A surprising teapot find

A few tea wares have been on my bucket list for a while. One of them is a stacking teapot, but they're a bit on the pricy side when I spot them online, and like a lot of things, I didn't want one that bad. Still, when I was checking out antique stores in Griffin last Wednesday, I went to one called Treasure Seekers, and this flat little teapot, sugar, and creamer caught my eye. Could it possibly be …?

I stacked the creamer and sugar and they fit. I wanted to stack them on top of the teapot, of course, but the lid was taped to the pot, and I didn't want to remove the tape without getting permission from someone in the store. So I walked the set up to the counter and explained to the pleasant woman there that I *thought* this was a stacking teapot, but I'd need to remove the tape to be certain. She said sure, pulled off the tape, and voila, the set stacked up as pretty as you please. "Well, I learned something new today," she said. "I've never even heard of this before." 

I told her not to feel too bad, that probably only tea nerds know what these things are, and that made her smile. The design is called "Pompadour" by Lord Nelson Ware in England, and I was happy to get this set for $25.

Even the teapot lid is pretty! A set just like this one is currently listed on eBay for $139.89, so I'm curious to see if it ends up selling. The price on my set was certainly right, and I considered it a birthday treat from me to me! (But I do not intend to collect these. Unless I should happen across one for 99 cents at a thrift store, one stacking teapot is plenty!)



11 comments:

  1. Totally beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whether or not that is the start of a collection all its own, it is a wonderful addition to your collection of tea-related items! Good for you for spotting it and realizing how it should stack.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So lovely! I have always wanted one too, but pricey. How fun to find one for your birthday and reasonably priced!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! Great treasure find, Angela. The artwork on it is gorgeous. Yippee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree! And I learned something new, had no idea these antique china patterns were designed to stack. And $25!!

      Delete
  5. Wow, that is a really neat set! I had never heard of a stacking teapot, creamer, and sugar bowl before, and I am happy to learn about them. Now I will know what it is if I am ever so lucky as to find one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful set. Enjoy!
    Joan,Marion and Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. This tea set is beautiful and fun. I’m happy to learn something new.

    Nancy Carr

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it. So lovely! If I found one for 99cents I would buy it too. What a great gift for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's lovely, Angela! I love crinoline lady tea wear, and your's is a pattern I haven't seen.
    You have the best luck finding things [inherited from your mother] and it couldn't go to a better home or nicer tea lover!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great find. I don't think I've ever seen a stacking teapot in person.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!