Wednesday, February 23, 2022

"Saving Mrs. Roosevelt" by Candice Sue Patterson

 


"Shirley lifted the string of the tea bag up and down, watching the herbs steep and the water turn a dark brown." — Saving Mrs. Roosevelt by Candice Sue Patterson

Saving Mrs. Roosevelt by Candice Sue Patterson is the latest selection of my book group, and I loved it so much that I was delighted to find a couple of tea references, which convinced me that I should mention it here! This book is part of the Heroines of WWII series by Barbour Publishing, and I definitely am interested in checking out some of the other titles in the series.

Our heroine, Shirley Davenport, is bored to death trapping lobsters with her family in Maine, so she applies to join the SPARS.  Now while I knew about the WAVES, the US Navy's corps of female members during the war, I must say that I don't ever remember learning about the SPARS, the US Coast Guard's Women's Reserve. (Their name was an acronym for the slogan "Semper Paratus—Always Ready.")

When she goes for training, Shirley falls for a dashing officer, but his interest in her seems to be purely professional. He thinks she would make a great spy, and one is needed since someone back in her hometown has been threatening to kill First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt.

Shirley and her Black roommate, Alma (an intriguing character as well), definitely prove their willingness to lay down their lives for their country, and I can't remember the last time I read a book and cheered for the leading ladies as much as I did with these gals. This exceptionally well-written book also had, to my delight, an inspirational angle, and the conclusion was one of the most satisfying I've read in a while. If you're looking for a new read, I highly recommend this one.

8 comments:

  1. That sounds like a great book, I'll add it to my "want to read" list! I'm always happy to find tea references in books I enjoy, that's an added bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the recommendation! That does sound like quite an interesting book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing. Looks like a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! Just placed a request for it from out local library...thank you for the suggestion! ~Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually read and have RE-Read the the book! Delightful ... looking forward to more from this author. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  5. Now this sounds like a book I would enjoy. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved, loved, LOVED this book!!! Alas, a quick read one evening (with decaf tea as I did read well into the night). Couldn't put it down!!! I've since reread it, making sure I didn't miss anything the first time. Yum-Yum is all I have to say! Thank you for the 'heads up'! ~Carol

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!