Friday, February 4, 2022

A vintage tea strainer from Germany

 


I sometimes think I've tried about every kind of tea strainer that exists, but I spotted one at an antique mall in Fayetteville last weekend that just spoke to me! I don't even really like to use fancy tea strainers anymore, preferring those cup-size tea filter baskets, but I do like a pretty tea strainer purely as a teatime collectible. This one with its little footed stand caught my eye soon after I walked into the store.


The roses and curlicues around the strainer bowl are so pretty, and even the handle had a scene of some sort, I noted.


Now I must confess that only when I took this photo and enlarged it did I realize the detail in this scene. It appears to be a woman and a little girl (with a doll!) in what looks like a farmyard somewhere. Is the woman working at a bench? Washing clothes, maybe? I'm not sure.

But I do know that I'm quite smitten with my new tea strainer and stand, and both well-worn pieces are stamped Germany. This was a fun find!









8 comments:

  1. That's a pretty one, a great addition to your collection of tea-related items.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That really is an extremely cute tea strainer! It's so detailed, even with the holes in the straining part forming a large star.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful and a great find! I like your reasoning for buying it as a collectible.
    Maybe the woman is drinking tea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on a fabulous find!
    Susan in NC

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't use them either, but I would definitely be tempted to buy this one. It is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is a third piece to your strainer, it’s a cobalt blue cup that sits in the holder. I have the set.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!