Friday, September 1, 2023

The third time's the charm …


It's a phenomenon I've observed for years now: When a hostess breaks an item, consequently breaking up a set of four place settings or four snack sets, she donates the other three sets to charity. That's why I bought this set of three snack sets and this set of three bone china trios recently. And my third set of three? It was three clear glass snack sets I found at a thrift store in Carrollton a few weeks ago.


Curiously, I don't believe I've ever had glass snack sets. That's probably because they're so easy to find, and if I needed twenty or so, I could probably pick them all up tomorrow at any of our area antique malls.



But the floral shape of these was just too charming to pass up at a mere $3 per set. They definitely remind me of sunflowers, which play a role in my next Silver Sisters mystery, so for that reason alone, I "needed" these. I believe they're by Hazel-Atlas, although I've seen the pattern referred to online as sunflower, daisy, and cosmos, so I'll continue to look for an "official" name. When I was at the thrift store, which benefits a local ministry, I was mulling over the fact that there were just three of the sets when the clever store manager suggested I could invite the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit to tea. (At the risk of sounding like a total heathen … but where's my set?)


And since today is what I consider the first day of Psychological Fall (September = Fall, even with 90-degree temperatures here in Georgia), I've begun pulling out some fall linens. With colorless plates like these, I think colorful linens would be a must, don't you? 

9 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I have the oval glass sets. But never saw this shape. I will look for a fourth for you! Frances

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a perfect autumn tablecloth to go with those cute transparent snack sets!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's really pretty. I too think colorful linens are a must with clear plates.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my goodness. I have the exact set (4 sets to be exact) that belonged to my maternal grandmother. They are special to me because they came from her. I'll have to research Hazel-Atlas to see what I find. If you find an accurate identity I hope you will post that. Enjoy them. I know that I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely to have a set of four and to know that they belonged to your grandmother. That's truly what I consider a treasure!

      Delete
  5. Yikes, you find the prettiest items! May I come ‘thrifting’ with you sometime?😁
    Happy Labor Day weekend, V.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! A tearoom owner I know has actually talked to me about leading a "party bus" visit to thrift stores. If that ever comes to pass, I'll post here!

      Delete
  6. Yes, to colorful linens for fall. Love the snack sets. I have never seen one like it. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your Autumnal arrangement! And as for that set...
    I hope you break one piece and decide to sell the rest!
    Your blog is just wonderful too: I'm so glad I visited. Happy Autumn!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!