Monday, September 18, 2023

Shopping for the (one-day) shop


I have so many friends who have booths in local antique malls, and a light bulb went on one day. When I retire in a few more years, I, too, will have time to have a booth in an antique mall. So now I’m going to start devoting a few shelves in the garage to my “one-day” antiques booth (“Angela’s Antiques,” as I now think of it). Friends who’ve had shops before tell me it’s a great way to rotate antiques in your house. By the time you’re tired of a piece, someone else is just getting into vintage things and will love it. And so, all that to say that one of my recent Saturday thrift store finds, this $12 hot chocolate pot, is something that I will decorate with now but that may end up at Angela’s Antiques one day.


It was apparently a great day for picking up cheap plates. At the same store, I found a Thanksgiving plate I’d never seen before, and I look forward to decorating with it this November.


Earlier this year, I discovered too late that I didn’t have very many pretty green things with which to decorate for St. Patrick’s Day. This $3 rose plate goes into my “spring” box of decor in the garage.


I do love a pretty enamel tray, and this green one is by Marjolein Bastin, whose work I have loved for many years. And $5.99 seemed like a great price for a nice big 13-inch-wide tray.


This little kitchen plate with a prayer on it ($2) matches a Lord’s Prayer plate in my kitchen, so I had to have it.


And ironically enough, my new glass “teacup” with Brim on it (49 cents from a thrift store in Carrollton) was actually an old advertising mug used to promote a coffee blend back in the day. I was almost home to Newnan when I finally remembered the company’s slogan. Do you remember it?

9 comments:

  1. What a great idea! And you’ve already got the perfect name picked out for your shop. You found some great things to enjoy now, and one day maybe they will stock your shop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a both at the Midway Antique Mall for several years. I found my profit was minimal after the mall owner got the rent. That's who really makes in the money in the grand scheme of things. I had fun though. I love that Thanksgiving/Pilgrim plate !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't think of the slogan!! Tell us☺️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Fill it to the rim … with Brim!" (I'm 59, so you may be too young to remember it!)

      Delete
    2. Very good! No ha 61 here😂

      Delete
    3. Oh good! Your memory may be about like mine, then! Ha!

      Delete
  4. Great finds. Angela's Antiques needs a website so your out of town friends can shop. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Makes note to hire web designer for the online store for Angela's Antiques*

      Delete
  5. "Angela's Antiques" really is a perfect name for your future booth/shop. I had never heard of Brim coffee or its slogan, and I'm certainly no spring chicken. But I've never been a coffee drinker, but I probably just didn't pay attention to it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!