Friday, September 30, 2022

"The Collected Cottage" by Kathryn Crisp Greeley


I know that many of you are fans of dishes, glassware, silver, and flowers. If you’re also a fan of lavishly illustrated home-decorating books, I am happy to recommend a new one that I’ve added to my library, The Collected Cottage by Kathryn Crisp Greeley. Years ago, I was at an Atlanta boutique, browsing the shop’s many fine offerings, when I spotted her first book, The Collected Tabletop. Her belief in tables (and homes) being “collected, not decorated” immediately resonated with me, and I loved how she went into exquisite detail about her table wares and the occasions on which she uses them. (Also, the book's recipe for Grandmother Crisp’s Caramel Cake is one of my all-time favorites. I’ve made it for my family, for the shut-in ministry at church, and even for local law enforcement at the local Public Safety Luncheon, where one burly officer who'd just heard how good it was asked for a large slice and said, “God bless you, ma’am!”)


As soon as I heard she had a new book out, I ordered it and eagerly awaited its arrival. This book is huge (9-1/2 x 12 inches), and its 376 pages are filled with photos and text that I have been poring over and savoring. I don't buy a lot of these "coffee table" type books because they tend to feature cold-looking homes that don't appear to be actually lived in. Greeley's Chestnut Cottage in North Carolina appears to be very much a home, and "the good china" gets regular use. I can't see flow blue china now without thinking of her collection.


She's clearly passionate about entertaining, and she seems quite gifted at selecting just the right china, crystal, flatware, and gifts for her guests. Everything on these tables is just so lovely and thoughtfully chosen.


Of course, her love for a good tea party is what I like best! It has occurred to me that all of my cozy mysteries so far have featured characters who are also "collectors." I can't help thinking my imaginary friends would enjoy this book, and I know some of you will too!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, that looks like a delightful book! I'm glad you're enjoying it, and I think I would, too. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great book to read while the storm passes over.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!