Friday, September 9, 2022

Ruffled glass dishes for teatime!


So I left the antique store in Fayetteville on Saturday kicking myself for not having bought those yellow ruffled glass teacups and saucers when I saw them earlier. They were miniature size, and the only thing I could think to do with them was serve chicken salad, as the cup rim was even ruffled, so I don't guess you were supposed to drink out of it. I decided to call that set "the one that got away," although I would love to know who bought them. So I moseyed on up the road to Goodwill, and I was just about to leave when some green glass plates on the end of an aisle started calling my name. "Angela! Psst, Angela. Over here!" they said.


I hustled to the front and got a cart, hoping no one would get "my" dishes before I got back to them! The four cups were just $3.09! Four saucers were $3.09! And four luncheon plates were (say it with me) $3.09! Odd pricing, but hey, a tea set for four for just $9.27? I was so happy and couldn't help grinning, because this set was a much better find than the yellow minis I let slip away. (Take that, Anonymous Antique Mall Shopper Person!)


After going online at home and searching for ruffled green dishes, I learned these were made by the Hazel Atlas Company and are the "Pebblestone" dishes in the Avocado color.


I'm going to set my table with these oh-so-sixties throwbacks this fall, but I can also use them with red and green decor at Christmas and then with pastel greens in the spring. I was so tickled to find them! I left the store thanking the Lord that I didn't get those yellow dishes and that I did get these. (Yes, I think the Lord cares about even our thrifting.) Please let me know if you know anything about Pebblestone dishes! 

7 comments:

  1. Ooh, they are so pretty! I love the ruffled edges on the plates. I had not seen this pattern before but I'm glad you found this set and you'll find lots of uses for them. Show us pictures when you set your table with them, please. I found some lovely yellow/gold Depression Glass last week at our local Habitat Restore - I got 5 plates, 8 bowls, 9 small plates or saucers (I'm not sure which, but I think they'd work for either one - they are "different" from the usual saucer style), 4 teacups, a lidded sugar bowl and a creamer, all for half the marked prices! It came to just under $40. They were all in perfect condition, too. I haven't had time to research the pattern yet but that's my best DG find in YEARS! And I figured out how to post as myself again, rather than "Anonymous"- YAY! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done! The green ones were meant to be yours. That is why the yellow ones were gone! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on finding those very nice cups, saucers, and luncheon plates! I've never seen that design before. And oh, yes, I remember all those avocado-colored appliances from the '60's!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are so pretty! Love the ruffled edge on the plate

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never seen these dishes, but love them. I am finding green is such a fun color anytime of the year for embellishing at a tea table. I use my green dishes all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oops, forgot to sign my name with that comment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Angela, Nice to have the dessert plate as well. Perfect for tea. Beautiful set.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!