Wednesday, July 20, 2022

Thrifted deals and steals


I like to think that thrifting is one of my superpowers, so I was feeling quite smug when I came across some fun deals including a bargain-priced Royal Albert teacup and saucer at the Salvation Army in Carrollton the other day. I usually prefer cups and saucers with floral designs, but in the fall, I'll take anything I can find with a peachy color palette. Or apricot, in this case!

And of course, the price was right.


I'm not sure I could ever pass up a Royal Albert cup and saucer for $1.25. But … when I got the set home and unwrapped it from the plastic, something about the handle struck me as awfully large for a teacup. And then I realized the bottom of the "teacup" doesn't quite fit within the ring of the saucer. Hmmm … then I looked up this Covent Garden Fruit Series on the Royal Albert Patterns website (a fabulous place for identification and research), and I realized someone had "married" the mug with a teacup saucer. Now that's just wrong! But considering the price, I still think I got a bargain, and if I ever find a lone apricot teacup that's similarly priced, I'll complete the set. Still, I'd love to know how this happened. Someone broke the teacup and happened to have a spare apricot mug? Someone was donating grandma's things and didn't know the difference between a teacup and a mug? One can only wonder.


Other recent finds, from the Drop-N-Shop in Carrollton and just 50 cents each, included what I believe is a butter pat, at left, and a bows-and-garlands china coaster with a silver rim. The turquoise piece is going in my "butter pat case" I'm working on filling, at any rate.

And finally, ReThread didn't turn up any tea wares, but I started collecting those kitschy old items made of safety pins last year, so now I have a Christmas tree, an angel, and this basket. For $2.49, it struck me as a steal that will cost much more than that come Christmas. Have you all found any good thrifted deals lately?

11 comments:

  1. Great finds! I've been going through old family dishes and trying to identify them. It's proving to be harder than I thought. It's like a scavenger hunt that has no end. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginger, if you have a smart phone, you can use the Visual Identification Tool at Replacements Ltd to find out the name of your china patterns. Just go to their website at replacements.com, click on "services" on the home page, and then on Visual Identification Tool. They tell you how to use it by taking a picture of your china. Good luck!

      Delete
  2. You find such fun things! Thrifting is indeed one of your superpowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't figured out why I suddenly became anonymous - but this is Joy again. It may have something to do with an update my computer did over the weekend...grrrr!

      Delete
    2. No, Joy, it's not your computer that's the problem. For several weeks now, my Google name and picture will NOT show up in my comments here like they used to. I have to choose "comment as" and then "name and URL" and write in my name and then click on "continue." I've tried the suggested remedies but they don't work.

      Delete
  3. I've never seen any of those kitschy items made of safety pins like that red basket--very interesting! That apricot mug and saucer are very nice for Autumn. At least they're the same pattern, even though technically the saucer doesn't go with the mug.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That apricot pattern is beautiful, but I'd be really bummed that the set was not really a set! Hope you happen onto the teacup in your thrifting adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Angela! One of these days, when I "get my act together"(it's been a crazy year around here), I'm going to send you some butter pats. ...Just thought I'd "warn" you...LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always enjoy your thrifted treasurers. Today I bought 4 big Christmas pillows for $2 each.
    Nancy Carr

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found a Victorian Eastlake wall rack with towel bar at Goodwill for $6.79 It needs stripping & the mirror is missing, but it's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That little basket is indeed "kitchy". What an interesting thing to collect. I haven't been thrifting in a long time.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!