Friday, July 15, 2022

On "Faded Glamour by the Sea" … and tea!


At my house, we watch a lot of British crime dramas. On one show the other night, I couldn’t help grinning at the sight of three cops standing there at the precinct sipping from cups of tea with the tea bag tags hanging down. If you stumbled across such a show set here in the US, such a sight would likely give you pause, but set as it was there in Sussex or wherever, it was completely normal. It struck me that I shouldn’t really be so surprised when I see teacups on TV or in a book or magazine since many, many people in the US and around the world drink tea each day. Which brings me to my point: I probably shouldn’t have been so surprised to find a few tea wares in the new book Faded Glamour by the Sea by British designer Pearl Lowe.


I ordered this book purely because its art director was Shabby Chic founder Rachel Ashwell, and I have long enjoyed her books, and those she works on, because they’re just so pretty and dreamy and brimming with the vintage things I love. (There’s also the fact that my third cozy mystery series, coming in 2023 or 2024, is set at the beach, and I suspected this book would be full of inspiration for those books, and it is.)


And as usual with interior design books like this, I found myself peering at the photos and looking for tea-ish things. Like this shelf with a pitcher and worn old teacups.


Or this window ledge with what appears to be a lidless silver teapot and glass jars full of seashells.

And while we're on the topic … Have you all been hearing the term "coastal grandmother"? That's the trendy term for those elegant beach-residing women who dress in neutrals and stick to classic styles (think navy-and-white-striped sweaters and white blouses and plain straw beach hats; nothing too flashy). And when I think of "coastal grandmother" interiors, the images in this book are what I think of. Nothing too new, no overabundance of driftwood and cutesy quotes about the beach, and nothing fussy or contrived. (I have a feeling not all "coastal grandmothers" would agree with me on this, and that's okay too!)


4 comments:

  1. That picture of tea on the beach looks lovely. I would gladly participate in that. When I first heard the coastal grandmother term I thought it was an odd choice. I know plenty of younger women who have dressed like that for years and years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Coastal grandmother" is a new term to me! But I love the Faded Glamour by the Sea style. The book looks lovely. (Joy B.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are very nice, peaceful photos in that book! I especially like the one with the peonies in the blue vase. I've never heard the term "coastal grandmother, but then I'm not a beach person and don't know many people who are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now this book looks tempting. I have just recently heard of "coastal grandmother" and kind of liked the concept. Marilyn Miller (that anonymous girl)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!