Wednesday, May 12, 2021

A tea trivet with a past …

My friend Ruth, who is in her eighties, had said for years now that she had some tea trivets she wanted me to have when she passed away. Naturally, I dismissed that notion immediately, as there's no tea ware on earth that I want to gain by having a friend pass away! But Ruth, who is one of the kindest and most practical women I've ever known, said she told her daughter there was no sense in waiting anymore (and Ruth is to our knowledge not about to kick the bucket or anything), so why not just give them to me now? And so it was that she called recently, and I stopped by her house last week to pick them up along with two fun teapots (more on those another day). There are six of these trivets, and this silhouette design is one of my favorites.

I love the simple black design and the fact that it shows a couple at dinner. Is the gent holding a pipe?

But what intrigued me most was the back stamp: "Hotoven Harker, The Oldest Pottery in America." Really? I'd never even heard of this company. Have any of you? Naturally, I had to go look it up and found a bit of history here. What a fun discovery, and a what a thoughtful friend!

8 comments:

  1. Ruth is indeed a thoughtful friend, and I know you'll treasure the trivets and teapots all the more because she gave them to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was very nice of your friend to give you those tea items NOW, when you could both enjoy the process. I had never heard of Harker Pottery, either, so thanks very much for your research on it! I particularly like that photo of all their employees from 1958.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely trivet from a dear friend! The picture of the Harker employees is so interesting. I see the company nurse, and the management wearing ties. It looks like some women are wearing aprons and some have their pocketbooks! Fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Special tea wares with memories are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your friends way of thinking by giving the things she wanted you to have now so both of you could enjoy it. I also love the employee photo and wonder what each one did there?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing the history of your new treasurers. I am happy for you and grateful to your friend. Blessings, Nancy Carr

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely gift. I’m not familiar with this pottery. I thought Robenson Ransbottom was the oldest before they closed. I wonder who holds the title now?

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a joy to receive the trivets. I am sure your friend was also thrilled to do it. I love when I can give something away to someone I know will cherish it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!