Wednesday, May 19, 2021

British TV Streaming Guide - US Edition, Spring 2021

 

I don't watch much TV except the evening news during the week, but on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights, my husband and I enjoy tuning in to two or three episodes of a British TV show. Now that everyone binge-watches TV, of course, we can view a show much faster, and that means we're soon searching for a new one. To make this task easier, I Heart British TV has started publishing a printed streaming guide, and I love mine. I ordered it here and got it about a week or so later. (It's also available on Amazon but was initially more expensive there, so you might want to do some comparison shopping before ordering.)

I've enjoyed skimming the brief descriptions and putting a red check mark next to shows I want to watch or marking shows that I tried but that didn't cut the mustard. It feels so "old-school" to have what amounts to a large-format version of the late TV Guide. (Remember when we used to buy those?)

Since I forgot to write about this guide sooner this spring (sorry!), I would suggest waiting until the Summer 2021 edition comes out to snag a copy. Currently, my favorite British TV show remains Father Brown, and after finishing up with a new crime show, we recently decided to start from the beginning and watch it all over again. In one early episode, I was delighted to hear Lady Felicia comment on a particularly fine oolong she was enjoying. There's lots of tea in this show, and I'm always studying the tea wares.


Father Brown also has a recurring bit about the award-winning strawberry scones of Mrs. McCarthy, the father's secretary, and I recently found a recipe for them on Facebook here (screen grab is above). 



The guide also lists movies and documentaries, and two are on my list. First, there's one from BBC Select, "The Birth of Empire: The East India Company," and then "The Story of Tea" from something called Tubi, which is said to be "free with ads." So there you go! If you're looking for some British TV shows to stream, you might want one of these streaming guides as well.





7 comments:

  1. I'm one of the few people who hasn't gotten into streaming TV shows yet, but if I were, I'm sure this guide would be very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Father Brown! Mrs. McCarthy’s scones and don’t forget her ever present hat. Oh and the beautiful clothes Bunty wears. Do you watch Miss Fisher too? Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This might come in handy! Thank you for posting about it. I absolutely love the cover of that issue. Does it give any details to the artist? - Cara

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you've found some good shows to watch with the help of that guide! I don't binge-watch TV at all, although I do admit to binge-reading and binge-listening to baseball and hockey on the radio. We all have our guilty (or not so guilty) pleasures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! I watch almost exclusively British shows and series so this will be most helpful (and help me see if I should try some different streaming services). Thanks for the heads up - I'll be watching for the Summer 2021 edition to be available. Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is so cool will have to order this. already looked up the tubi show.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the ideas. I love British TV. Especially the home restoration shows with all of those 100 year old houses. I learn so much history of the homes and the British people.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!