Friday, March 12, 2021

Taking tea *inside* the US Senate

 

For the benefit of anyone who might be reading this post on a cellphone, I'm transcribing the delightful text accompanying this cartoon that appeared in Harper's Weekly on April 10, 1858, apparently reprinted from the Washington Globe and titled "A Congressional Scene" …

***

During the protracted session of the Senate last week, Senator Clark having the floor, said: "If it be the pleasure of the Senate to adjourn now, it would be very agreeable to me. I have had nothing to eat since 8 o'clock, neither bread nor any thing else." But the Senate wouldn't adjourn, and he proceeded till 8 1/2 o'clock, when, during an explanation by Mr. Green, having spoken over three hours and a half, he availed himself of the opportunity to indulge in that beverage which "cheers but not inebriates," with accompanying muffins and sandwiches, which gave his desk the social aspect of a cosy tea-table. The Hon. Senator retained his right to the floor, with a cup of hot tea in one hand, and a huge sandwich in the other. The scene was novel, but a twelve hours' fast had created an inexorable stomach. By the call of the Yeas and Nays he was afforded ample time to finish his repast.

***
When I did a Google search to find out who those senators might have been, it appears they were Daniel Clark (R-NH) and James S. Green (D-MO). Wouldn't you love to have a photo of this particular moment in US history? I would!

3 comments:

  1. That is so interesting. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny! I love the drawing, with the disheveled Senator holding his delicate teacup in one hand, and his big sandwich in the othe. That's a great line from the newspaper article, too, saying that his desk has "the social aspect of a cosy tea-table." A little research turns up the fact that currently the only beverages allowed on the Senate floor are water and milk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love it! Thanks for sharing it with us. I would love seeing a picture too, but I now have a picture in my mind.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!