Monday, March 29, 2021

An update on Newnan …


Since so many of you have been kind enough to reach out and ask how Alex and I fared with Friday's tornado that devastated my hometown of Newnan, Georgia, I thought that this Monday, it would be appropriate to update you on Newnan before I venture back into the sweeter world of teatime. I haven't been out to view the damage myself (local law enforcement has asked that we all stay away for now), but a friend who lives closer to town, Leigh McKnight, was kind enough to allow me to share some of her images here. Newnan High School has sustained heavy damage and is closed this week. 


I've probably not mentioned this here before, but Newnan served as a "hospital town" during the Civil War and was the site of a Confederate military hospital. Eventually, lots of the buildings in Newnan—including schools, churches, and some of the larger homes—were used in treating some of the thousands of soldiers. Following the battle of Brown's Mill in 1864, Newnan treated wounded soldiers from both the North and the South, so one of the theories of how we got our nickname of "The City of Homes" is that the city's homes were spared during the Civil War precisely because of its role as a hospital town. Now, some of these old homes could use a hospital themselves. This one is obviously damaged a bit (minor compared to many, many other homes), and if you're interested in seeing some before-and-after photos, go here on Facebook. The first "home" pictured after the high school is now a special events facility where friends and I have taken tea on numerous occasions. I was heartbroken to see the windows blown out and the porch sagging from the destruction. And our lovely old homes with columns blown away are practically unrecognizable.


As a lifelong Georgian, I am accustomed to tornadoes coming through in the springtime. I remember hiding out in the basement with my sister and parents when I was a little girl. Alex and I don't have a basement, but when tornado warnings buzzed on my phone around midnight Thursday, we went to our bathroom downstairs to wait out the storm. The house shook a few times and there was some serious thunder and lightning, but that was it. I didn't think much of it until I checked Facebook and saw where one of my close friends said her house 10 miles away had been hit, the windows blown out and the roof ripped off, and that downtown Newnan looked like "a war zone." Then another friend posted video of rain pouring through the ceiling of her house. Then I learned a former coworker's home was hit. I now know so many with damage that I've stopped counting. Videos appeared online very quickly the next day, and it was eerie to see houses with roofs and upper floors ripped away and utility lines scattered across the road like so much Silly String. Amazingly, my understanding is that no one died directly from the tornado. (Sadly, one man died of a heart attack on the way to go rescue his daughter, who was supposed to get married the next day.)


So while cleanup is obviously going to take a long while, the good news is that Newnan is a very *giving* town. In fact, we saw on Facebook that the police department was asking for donations of water and nonperishable food, so we got dressed and headed to the grocery store. On the way, I checked my Facebook feed (never so grateful for Facebook!) to be sure of where to drop it off, and they posted that they were already overflowing with donations and for people to please hold off for a while. That story was repeated at other collection sites across town that asked people to hold off on any more giving. Any time there's been a tragedy here, I see the same sort of response, so we're waiting to see whether to buy tangible items later in the week or simply make a donation to one of the relief agencies. People's kindness to each other has brought me to tears. So Newnan doesn't really need anything but your thoughts and prayers right now!


And speaking of prayer … my prayers these past few days are full of thanks to the Lord that there wasn't a major loss of life from this tornado. When I saw this photo that Leigh took, I really pondered that cross showing up in the damage here at Holy Week. I'm so glad she noticed it!

So if I haven't overshared with you today, I'll end with a link to a local company's drone footage showing how "The City of Homes" has turned into "The City of Tarped Homes." But everyone is grateful because it could have been so, so much worse. And I am grateful that some of you tea friends were kind enough to check on me.

Wednesday, I trust, we'll be back to talking about teatime here!


17 comments:

  1. Thank you for letting us know about the post-tornado situation in your town. Wow, those are some really scary photos! It certainly WAS a miracle that there weren't a lot of deaths, with all that destruction (it was sad about the gentleman who had the heart attack). That's wonderful that your townspeople responded so quickly and generously with food and water. I enjoyed reading your bits of the history of Newnan during the Civil War. Good luck to you all in recovering from this storm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I knew I was going on a bit much in that post, but when I got to the history, I thought, "Vernona might appreciate that even if no one else does." Ha! And thanks so much for the kind thoughts!

      Delete
  2. Oh, Angela, my heart goes out to the people in your area. I am thankful that there wasn't great loss of life, but dealing with the aftermath of such a storm is so hard. I would come help physically if I could, but instead I have made a donation to the North Georgia United Methodist Conference's fund for helping the Newnan area. It's the least I can do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, how very kind! On behalf of my friends who were victims, thank you!

      Delete
  3. Angela, I'm so sorry to hear about this. I thought it must be near you, but when your last post seemed normal I hoped I was mistaken. I should have reached out then, sorry. So scary. Thoughts and prayers, always. What a wonderful community spirit ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries, Kim! I always pre-post (usually a day or two ahead), so yes, Friday's post was written pre-tornado. And we are all continuing to say how blessed we are to live in such a giving community that always bands together!

      Delete
  4. Oh, Angela! This is just awful! I am so terribly sorry. How devastating. I am so glad you weren't harmed or your home wasn't damaged - but wow, so many have been.

    :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michele! We are counting our blessings here for sure!

      Delete
  5. Newnan is in my thoughts and prayers. Thank you for sharing your town. I didn’t realize the extent of the damage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ginger! If Newnan comes to mind, please pray for the insurance claims process that so many are going through right now. (That's what I've been asked to pray about.)

      Delete
  6. I hadn't realized your city had been hit by the tornadoes. So thankful that there wasn't alot of lives lost. It does sound like the citizens of Newnan will rally 'round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Newnan has really stepped up. Thank you so much for caring!

      Delete
  7. Mother Nature can be so devastating. So thankful you and Alex are safe and no destruction came to your home. Prayers for those less fortunate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank You for the information concerning Newnan. We will keep Newnan and i all the residents in our thoughts and prayers. God Bless.
    Joan,Marion and Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for your kindness!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to hear you and Alex did OK, but sad for others that suffered destruction.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!