Monday, December 14, 2020

The Santa mug cabinet


Years ago, I bought an old white kitchen cabinet from a friend for $25. It was "distressed" before we even started using that word, but I liked it, and I still do. It definitely needs painting and freshening and some new hardware, but it's been home to many of my tea wares for years, and I'm rather attached to it now. I recently decided to take everything out of it to inventory my teacups and saucers, and since I did, I decided it would be fun to decorate it for Christmas just this once. So for the rest of this month, at least, it's the Santa mug cabinet!


In between the mugs, I scattered a few of my vintage finds from the past year. One I'm most enjoying is my first putz house. I'd read about these for years but never actually owned a vintage one. When I found this one for $6 at a local antique shop, and it had roses on it, I decided it was perfect.

Another antique mall find (and maybe it was two years ago? can't remember) was a vintage *plastic* tree! I'd forgotten about the plastic decor of my childhood until I started seeing things like this tree and faux doilies made of plastic. 

And I wish I knew more about Lefton figurines. All I knew about this one was that a) it was so homely it was cute and b) it was 49 cents at the thrift store and had the original Lefton sticker on it.

This little honeycomb guy is actually an ornament. I was surprised to find him for $2 at an antique mall. Would love to find a stash of old honeycomb tissue ornaments some day!

Every year, different Santa mugs appeal to me. Perhaps because I spent much of the year working on a Christmas book featuring red and white, I'm now drawn to pastels once again, and this Santa's pink cheeks have caught my attention.

One good thing about all of the old red and white stuff, though, is that it all blends well!

And yes, I do close the doors so we can walk around the cabinet! I'm thinking one of my 2021 projects may be to paint it (and the kitchen!) turquoise and add new hardware to give it a newer "distressed" look. I think my tea wares would appreciate more modern accommodations, don't you?

So how do we cap off an afternoon of playing with the Santa mugs? With a Santa mug full of tea, of course! And I still haven't decorated the tea trolley yet (I had too many tea wares sitting out and had to figure out how and where to pack them), so I hope to get that done by Christmas!


13 comments:

  1. I adore your Christmas display! What fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the white cabinet with all your vintage Christmas items! Especially the mugs. I found a Santa mug at the Dollar Tree last week and got it - cute face. Not vintage but still fun to use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Makes note to look for a mug at Dollar Tree* (And I bought the cabinet from Liz!)

      Delete
  3. That kitchen cabinet is great for displaying your Santa mugs and other vintage Christmas things! I especially like your sparkly little putz house. I had not seen one before, but now I'm enjoying reading about their history on-line.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your sanra mug collection and the white vintage cabinet is perfect to display all your finds! It

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love your happy cabinet. That is what I would call it. There is so much happiness right there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to use this idea! Love it, so thanks, Marilyn!

      Delete
  6. Love the cabinet and all of your treasures. We have a few of the Putz houses. Some are not in the best of shape, but we still love them. Have a Blessed and Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy 2021
    Joan,Marion and Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how you styled the cabinet. My Grandma had a similar cabinet that she called a pie safe. At Christmas she filled it with cakes. I think the rest of the year it held dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Santa mug cabinet is so cute! I still have the two Putz houses we decorated with as kids. i didn't know a thing about them until I read an article about them. So glad my mother kept them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love everything about this display!! So glad you decided to create it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with Marilyn! That is definitely a HAPPY cabinet! It makes my heart happy looking at all the vintage Christmas treasures inside! Those photos need to be in your new Christmas book!!
    Susan in NC

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE your Santa display in your china cabinet! So Christmassy and festive! I emptied out one of my china cabinets this Christmas too so I could display all my Christmas teapots. It was quite the chore packing up all the dishes that occupied the space previously, but it's fun seeing Christmas china displayed in December. I had never heard of Putz houses before so learned something new from your post.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!