Wednesday, December 16, 2020

A great new source for teatime art


One thing I've noticed in my years as a tea blogger is that many of us have similar interests. I have found, for instance, that more than a few tea-loving souls share my interest in sewing and crafting, and I love it when tea friends send me a link to a new fabric or rubber stamp that features a design of a teapot or teacup. Similarly, I find that many tea lovers are art lovers as well. And since those of us who enjoy teatime occasionally need a piece of artwork for this or that project, I'm always happy to share a source for teatime images in the public domain. This past week, Jane Friedman's Electric Speed writing newsletter listed a new source for art that's in the public domain, Artvee. Naturally, I had to see if any tea-related works showed up, and I was overwhelmed! I found such wonders as "Tea on the Terrace" by Frédéric Soulacroix (French, 1858–1933). (And may I just say that I love that these women are not skinny!)


Then there was 
"Time for Tea" by Albert Lynch (French, 1860–1950). I can practically feel the golden glow of the sunshine streaming into the room.


And I also liked "Strawberry Tea Set (1912)" by Childe Hassam (American, 1859-1935). The lines and brush strokes in this painting are particularly intriguing. There's lots more to look at, of course, but I was so excited by this new resource that I wanted to share it with you here. Incredibly enough, all of these images may be used for commercial and personal projects with no attribution required. (But as a creator myself, I think attribution is always a nice thing to provide, plus it assists the reader/viewer who wants to learn more.) Go here to check out Artvee.com for yourself!



5 comments:

  1. That "Strawberry Tea Set" painting has your colors, doesn't it? I like all the art you showed. This is a fun new site to explore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a wonderful website! Thank you very much for alerting us to it. Those are fascinating "tea paintings" that you've found. I like Childe Hassam's works, but had never seen that "Strawberry Tea Set" before. I'm a volunteer at the National Gallery of Art, so am very interested in art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, what a fabulous place to volunteer, Vernona! I love to learn about art and artists, and I would love to take art lessons one day.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing the new site.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the old art when tea is involved.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!