Monday, December 21, 2020

Counting down to Christmas …

 

Cookies and cards. That's going to be my theme for the week, I suppose, as those are the two things I have left to finish up before Christmas. Last week, I baked dozens of Spritz Cookies, Candy Cane Cookies, and Orange-Slice Bars to drop off with a few friends, but I still need more, so sometime between now and Wednesday, I plan to have another big baking session.

When I found "Vintage Christmas Sugar" at T. J. Maxx this year, I knew that was perfect for my Christmas cookies! (And it goes a long way. I've still got tons of it left in the bottle.)

I like how my "thrifted" cookie plates are turning out. This one was the rose-design plate I found recently for 75 cents at Goodwill (shown here), and it went to the friend I knew would appreciate it most.

And of course I had to take a tea break and enjoy an Orange-Slice Bar myself. It's amazing how much better that candy tastes when baked in a treat. I decided it was the grainy sugar coating I didn't care for, and when the candies are merely an ingredient in a batter, that graininess disappears. (The recipe is in my new cookbook and also this month's Coweta Shopper column here for anyone who would like it.)

My other project over the last week has been to stamp, color, and die cut nativity figures for some of the Christmas cards I'm sending (rather late in the month) to family this year. They take a while to create, but it's fun to do something in my craft room while watching old Christmas movies on YouTube.

I'm not sure the Stampin' Up people intended these designs to have a pastel background, but that's what I decided to do, so there you go. For some reason, Christmas seems to have gotten here faster than ever this year, and my goal is to finish all the "have-to" items on my list by Wednesday so that I can relax and "prepare Him room" by the morning of Christmas Eve. Are you ready for Christmas? Please tell me that I'm not the only one who isn't quite ready yet!

7 comments:

  1. You are amazing! So sweet to make cookie trays. I need to make that orange deliciousness. Can you check your IM too. Merry christmas to you and Alex! 🎄🎄

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your friends are fortunate to receive such yummy cookies on such nice vintage plates!
    And your nativity cards are beautiful, too. Your cookies do look wonderful--the vintage Christmas sugar is a great touch. I have always loved orange slice candies, and as soon as I find some, I will have to make those cookies. My sister in North Carolina has mailed me a box of her own excellent Christmas cookies, so I am eagerly awaiting them! I did get the last of my Christmas cards in the mail this morning. I finished preparing them last night while watching "Sound of Music" on TV.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only reason I'm "almost" ready is because there are no Christmas gatherings due to COVID and I'm not sure when my daughter and family will visit, also due to COVID. I may still get a few more cards mailed, they will probably arrive after Christmas but that's better than last year, when none were mailed. Your cookies look wonderful. No holiday baking for me this year but that's ok too. I have the recipes for another year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have just about finished decorating and wrapping the gifts. Our cards were sent out a few weeks ago. We did make sugar cookies with our Christmas cookie cutters. We purchased a Nativity cookie cutter set from Amazon. It arrived two days ago. We will be making some more cookies with these new cookie cutters. Your Christmas cards are beautiful. Wishing you and yours a Blessed and Merry Christmas and a Happy and healthy 2021.
    Joan,Marion and Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Angela, what a lovely idea, to place your delicious cookies on a "real" plate for gifting. And for 75 cents at Goodwill—probably cheaper than buying a disposable AND so much nicer for the recipient AND the planet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your card is pretty. I’ll be baking this week too. Orange-Slice Bars are on tomorrow’s list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just saw this on ebay - not a breakfast set but pretty! https://www.ebay.com/itm/royal-winton-grimwades-June-Roses-Creamer-And-Sugar/114587668680?hash=item1aadf510c8:g:P6cAAOSwaDxfTvbg

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!