Wednesday, September 2, 2020

"A Design to Die For" by Kathleen Bridge

In Kathleen Bridge's A Design to Die For, decorator Meg Barrett is invited to participate in Montauk, New York’s first annual Designer Showhouse, and great fun ensues when some well-heeled women try to one-up each other on the project. One of the owners of the showhouse winds up murdered, and the race is on to find out which of the many suspects killed the unlikable man.

Bridge’s fast-paced cozy is fifth in a series, and while I haven’t read the others, I was able to keep up with the shenanigans but did end the book with a desire to go back and read all of the others.

I enjoyed the setting of the Hamptons, a departure from the Southern-themed cozies I usually read. I also enjoyed the fact that the main character is hearing impaired, a characteristic I don’t ever remember seeing in a cozy heroine before.

Naturally, a few scenes in the book had someone preparing a cup of tea—the norm in cozies. And one tidbit in the book was memorable in light of some intrigue recently discovered here on this tea blog. One question raised in the plot was whether the home being used for the showhouse was actually designed by architect Stanford White. I kept thinking his name was familiar, and then I came across this line: “The story of how he was murdered in 1906 by the jealous husband of his mistress, actress Evelyn Nesbit, had been one of the biggest scandals of the new century.” Yes! I knew that! This picture of poor Evelyn, by then operating a tearoom in New York, garnered some fun discussion here back in May, so to come across her in a cozy mystery a few months later was quite fun.

Bridges has well-developed characters and a lively writing style that kept things hopping. Also, Meg’s growing friendship with a neighbor who is a writer was one I particularly enjoyed reading about, and I hope it deepens in a future book.

If you, too, would enjoy reading a cozy mystery set in the Hamptons, I’m happy to recommend this fun book!

Review copy courtesy of NetGalley

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recommendation! I'm not familiar with that cozy series, so I'm glad to learn about it. The National Symphony Orchestra here used to have a yearly Designer Showcase to raise money, and I always enjoyed attending those. I'm glad you caught that connection in the book to Evelyn Nesbit--that makes me want to read it even more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Evelyn Nesbit keeps popping up in my youtube and reading feeds. We watched a program about Rose Marie (Dick Van Dyke Show) and unbelievably Evelyn Nesbit was performing at a venue when she was a child star and she called Rose Marie up on stage. Just another little Evelyn Nesbit tidbit, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my! Would you happen to recall the name of the show, Terri? I'd love to find it and watch!

      Delete
  3. This sounds like a good book. I’ll look for the first book. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your review, this sounds like a series I'd enjoy, too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!