Wednesday, September 9, 2020

A cup of cheer (and a platter of thrift)

On Saturday, I went recreational shopping for one of the first times in months. Aunt Jane and I both wore masks and applied hand sanitizer after every stop, and so far, so good. My favorite finds were at Hobby Lobby, which, not surprisingly, has all the Christmas stuff out and 40 percent off. Much as I love Santa mugs, I *had* to have this cute little plaque. Christmas sayings with "cup" in the title always catch my attention as a tea lover, so some of you might be interested in this one as well.

I'm already thinking of having a pastel Christmas next year (this year, I'm into vintage reds), so when I saw these mint green and pink Santa mugs from their Sleigh Bell Bistro line, I had to have them. There was an ivory one, too, and now I'm thinking I should have gotten it as well.

The green one looks almost like vintage Jadeite, doesn't it? These are large mugs, almost 5 inches tall and 7 inches wide including the handle, so these will be nice for decorating in addition to sipping!

And happily, Goodwill did not disappoint either. (Goodwill, by the way, took our temperatures before we went in.) I was about to leave the store empty-handed when, beneath a stack of not-quite-charming candles, appeared what looked like a piece of old English transferware. I shoved the candles aside, and while this 18 x 14-inch platter was Japanese, not English, it still struck me as a great addition to my Thanksgiving table, especially since it was in perfect condition and just $5.99. I don't mean to go crazy or anything, and I'm still taking COVID precautions at every turn, but it sure felt nice to go shopping again!

 

7 comments:

  1. Oh, that little Santa mug sign was made with you in mind! It's perfect to go along with your collection. And I like the pastel mugs, too. What a great day of shopping. I bet Aunt Jane enjoyed it, too. I really miss in-person shopping, if there were stores like Hobby Lobby close to me, I'd probably be in them - as it is, my fingers do the shopping and I got a small box from them yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the platter and there are many old vintage ones from Japan - turkey plates too! That's lovely and your mugs are sure fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I particularly like autumn-themed china, especially with designs that have nuts and fruits on them, so seeing your turkey platter has brightened my day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the sign reminds me of the mugs my family had long ago. Its a great find from hobby lobby?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful platter, I just love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Thanksgiving platter and would have definitely snapped that up. The Christmas plaque is perfect to go with your Santa mug collection.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!