Monday, August 10, 2020

Agatha Christie & Cream Tea Scones

It's been an Agatha Christie–themed weekend at my house. Alex and I are always looking for a new TV show to binge watch on the weekends, and we are drawn to British shows set around WWII or the fifties. This time, we settled on "Partners in Crime," a 2015 British miniseries based on Christie's Tommy and Tuppence mysteries. We liked the first few episodes and plan to keep watching. Then, before I could even join my Sunday School class on Zoom yesterday, what lands in my email in-box but my Agatha Christie newsletter featuring a recipe for English scones!

I have used my trusty scone pan to make wedge-shaped scones for most of my baking life. In fact, I cannot recall ever making round ones that I've cut out myself. So this time, I used the recipe downloaded from the newsletter here. They were easy to make (once I figured out that 8 ounces of flour equals a little over 2 cups!), and the fluffy, tasty treats were ready to enjoy by the time I settled in with my Sunday School lesson. They were small, just about 2 inches each, and I liked that.

They fit beautifully on my tea and biscuit set (which I wrote about here in 2011). Since I had some whipped cream left over from testing another Christmas cookbook recipe, I decided to have my scones with both grape jelly (made by my sister) and cream. I learned that the way I eat mine—cream first, then the jelly—is considered "the Devonshire way," as opposed to "the Cornish way," which is jam first. Are you Team Devonshire or Team Cornish?



9 comments:

  1. Team Devon!!! Will check out the T&T series. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  2. I eat mine the Devon way also. I almost always cut mine in small rounds like these. Yummm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm on Team Cornwall--to each her own. I always make my scones round--sometimes small and sometimes large. Your tea and biscuit set is so cheerful-looking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Might I recommend Father Brown (with Mark Williams), if you haven't already seen it? Set in the 1950's, and one of the main characters is known for her "award-winning strawberry scones"! (I would be on Team Cornwall)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never tried it either way. I mean to remedy that though! At Ingles and The Fresh Market (not to be confused with Fresh Market) you can buy proper clotted cream to have with your scones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’m Devonshire. I normally make wedges but I like the idea of making them round.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Guess it would be team Cornish. Thanks for an enjoyable read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks delicious, do love a scone. Hard to get clotted cream here, but I do think Trader Joe's Mascarpone cheese is not a bad substitute.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!