Friday, August 28, 2020

An old magazine sparks some new ideas

Sometimes I marvel that I continue to keep thirty-year-old magazines, and yet, even as I try to get rid of some things in my library, my back issues of Victoria remain precious to me. This week, I thumbed through the August 1990 issue to see what I was reading about back then. But I noted with interest that this issue's label says "P.  Mason" of Smyrna, Georgia, and I think maybe this is is one of the issues my late grandmother found for me once she knew I was trying to complete a collection. A sweet memory!

In these old issues, I don't have to turn very many pages at all before I'm oohing and aahing over old lace …

And teacups! I like the tall shape of these, but they weren't listed in the shopping information. Anyone have a clue about this maker or pattern?

But the most fun thing I found was a recipe section titled "An Occasion for Iced Teas." I was all ready to follow their advice and prepare my own blend of iced mint tea and lemon tea, but would you believe I'm out of mint tea? Now how did that happen! Oh well, at least I'll have something tea-ish to look for on my next trip to the grocery store. And thanks for the memories, Victoria!

7 comments:

  1. How wonderful that your grandmother found that issue for you! And it is still relevant today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you found so many things that "spark joy" in that old issue of "Victoria"!
    I'm sorry that I can't help you identify that china pattern. It's quite pretty. That appears to be a bouquet in the design. I tried Googling for it, but there are hundreds (or thousands) for china patterns with the word "bouquet" in the name!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Victoria was a favorite of mine, too.

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you enjoy the tea once you’ve restocked mint tea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Victoria is a favorite magazine of ours. We still have many of the old issues. Enjoy!
    Joan,Marion and Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still can't part with many of the old Victoria Magazines either. I once had two large plastic bins of them and have narrowed them to one very full plastic bin. Still they remain in my storage area and once in the while I get a few out to drool over. Now you encourage me to go get some.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, yes. I too have a love affair with the older issues of Victoria magazine. I enjoy the newer ones too, but the original issues have something elusive that the newer ones are missing. I'm especially prone to bring out the seasonal issues to look through again and again in order to get me in the mood. Such fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!