Friday, July 17, 2020

I have a notion you'll like "Amy Barickman's Vintage Notions"

One of the good things about staying home is the rediscovery on my shelves of some older books that I haven't opened in a while. Lately, I've enjoyed poring over the pages of Amy Barickman's Vintage Notions: An Inspirational Guide to Needlework, Cooking, Sewing, Fashion, and Fun. It's a 2010 hardback that I'm pretty sure I bought when Newnan had a quilt shop some years ago. And while I set it aside with my sewing books when I lost interest in sewing for a while, now that I've been reading it again, I think it needs a permanent place on my "lovely things to look at" shelf. The beautifully designed book is based on the 1920s work of a Mary Brooks Picken and the women of The Woman's Institute of Domestic Arts and Sciences. I am so loving all of the patterns, recipes, quotations, and articles in this book.

And when I was reminded of some of the tea things I saw, I can't believe I haven't shared this book on the blog before. Most of my tea friends also enjoy cooking or sewing or both, and this book offers great inspiration on all counts.

The sweet stories are a delight to read and, if I do say so, especially suitable for pandemic reading. Don't you love the stylish dress this woman is wearing as she comes bearing the tea tray? I looked on Amazon to be sure this book is still available, and it is. (No association with Ms. Barickman, just a happy reader.) The book includes chapters for each month of the year and also some pockets for inserting articles or clippings of your own. I'm now going back through the book month by month (there are vintage ice cream recipes for July), and if you need some peaceful reading in your life, I am happy to recommend this truly charming book!



4 comments:

  1. I also have this book. I enjoy reading it. It's a nice step back from the realities of today. Christy from Tulsa

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a very interesting book! Thanks for bringing it to our attention. I see that after the book was so popular, the author published a number of "Vintage Notion Monthly" magazines, which one can still purchase. Ms. Barickman has a nice website at www.amybarickman.com which you might want to check out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’ve checked this out from the library twice. It is a delightful book.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!