Friday, June 12, 2020

Iced tea of yesteryear …


I was looking up vintage advertisements online this week when I came across a new "old" name in tea, Canterbury Tea, which is the focus of this 1939 magazine advertisement. Since June is National Iced Tea Month, I'm trying to remember to focus on iced tea in addition to the hot tea I always drink.

This ad is intriguing with its recipe for a "Tropical Tempter." I found it interesting that this calls for, in addition to the tea, pineapple, bananas, lemon juice, pineapple juice, sugar, carbonated water, and crushed ice. I'd be willing to try it, but this definitely sounds more like punch (or dessert!) than tea.

But it did remind me of something. Last month, I made a dish that required crushed pineapple, and I had to drain off the juice. Now I hate to waste anything, especially these days, so I saved the pineapple juice and used it to sweeten my tea that week. I enjoyed it so much that later, I saved some cherry juice and did the same thing. And while I don't normally sweeten my tea, I did enjoy these fruity sweeteners. So the next time you have to drain off some juice, you might try adding a teaspoonful or two to your tea!

5 comments:

  1. That's very interesting about using drained juice to sweeten your iced tea! I will definitely try it. I always sweeten my hot tea, but usually do not sweeten my iced tea, but it's worth a try. I sometimes sweeten my hot tea by putting in jam (preferably raspberry), which is an old Russian tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That company is new to me too. The recipe sounds good. My kids would like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to add pomegranate juice to ice tea. A nice change. Has anyone tried this not sure about this recipe sounds interesting?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, I might have to buy some cherries just to have the juice for my tea! I'm drinking some peppermint green tea over ice right now. But I LOVE cherries and I'm looking forward to trying the juice in my tea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!