Wednesday, June 24, 2020

The journey of blue and white ceramics

The new issue of Veranda arrived the other day, and at first, I didn't even notice that up top, it said "Global Blue & White."

But then I came across this stunning feature inside and realized that oh, they meant this blue and white! I love how they created a timeline of blue and white ceramics and shared how the pieces "marched through 16th- and 17th-century Europe like a vivid carnival, fresh off a journey of color and craft that began in southern China, where artisans discovered a chemical kinship between their prized porcelain (made with locally sourced and highly coveted kaolin) and cobalt oxide (the only pigment to withstand porcelain's high-firing temps)."

Naturally, I was eager to spot some blue and white tea wares. While I'm familiar with the Blue Onion pattern on the plate above, I had not heard of the Blue Fluted Half Lace pattern on the teapot by Royal Copenhagen. That handle is so pretty and delicate looking.

And these exotic Mexican wares remind me of some of the Polish pottery I've seen in recent years with the cream and blue colors. I have a few blue and white teacups, a few plates, and two blue and white teapot lamps, and I seem to enjoy them best in the summertime. Are any of you fans of blue and white ceramics?

4 comments:

  1. That looks like a very interesting article! I love to read about the history of porcelain and china. I have a lot of the Polish pottery that you mention, including four teapots, but none of them are only blue and white--they all have red or green or brown as well. I like them very much. I have a very elegant egg cup in the Blue Onion pattern that I bought in the Czech Republic a number of years ago. (I am a big fan of egg cups and use them often. They are a fun thing to collect, and are a lot easier to carry home than a teapot!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a fan! I don't have a large collection but I try to pick up blue and white pieces when I can at thrift stores or flea markets. My daughter and son-in-law brought me a lovely Polish pottery teacup and saucer when they visited Poland last year. It's mostly blue and white with some tiny green leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blue and white always reminds me of Delph ware. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to leave a comment! It makes my day to hear from readers!